Chapter 1

Chapter 1
A crown for a king

Chapter 1A crown for a king

Ortiz de Rozaz Palace

"Sir."

Madrid remained a straight face as Gonzalo entered his room again. He was just standing as the other maids and butlers helped him with his black suit. It was always in the norm that a royal should always have a spare black attire in case of death in the family - and if you are in the overseas, you always have to make sure to bring one black attire with you.

"The Prime Minister is here."

Madrid nodded as he was also done changing. Nauna naman siyang naglakad palabas ng kwarto niya at sumunod kaagad sa kanya si Gonzalo. All the royal housekeepers and the guards inside the palace stopped and bowed down to him when he walked through the hallway.

Gonzalo opened the door for him as he entered the living room in the west wing. It is the official meeting room of his dad, the King, whenever he has to meet government officials or important guests.

Nakita naman ni Madrid si PM Hernan Sto. Domingo na nakatayo na. The old man was looking at him with grief. He was in his late fifties, just like his father.

Gonzalo closed the door outside and left them alone.

Nang makalapit na si Gonzalo rito ay bigla naman nitong inabot sa kanya ang kamay nito. He was as if offering him a handshake.

Hesitant, Madrid accepted the Prime Minister's hand but instead, the PM suddenly bowed down while his hand was just once inch away from the old man's lips. It was the same gesture when his dad would be greeted by different state officials as a sign of courtesy.

"Your majesty," Hernan said after and stood up properly.

"We already have the men who cleaned up all the debris that have fallen from the plane's explosion. Some of the clothes and things of the late king and the princess have been recovered and their bodies..." Lumunok pa ito at yumuko.

"Go on," Madrid replied, his face still blank.

"They were all dismembered. We identified the Princess Tamara's severed head and her arms but we couldn't find her limbs. It may have been totally crushed from the explosion. The King's left arm and the two legs were dismembered as well."

Both of them suddenly became silent. The Prime Minister looked down again while waiting for Madrid's reply.

"All... All of the people inside the plane died?" His voice was firm.

"Y-Yes, your majesty. They all died, including the pilot."

"If I didn't wake up late and went with them for the state visit, I'm also supposed going to die?"

Hindi naman siya sinagot at nanatiling nakayuko lang.

"They are currently investigating the reason of the explosion. Tomorrow, they may give us the details and we might already know what caused it." The PM added, still not looking at him.

"Did my father mention anything to you that he maybe somehow receiving some death threats?"

"N-No. I haven't heard of anything nor he told me he has been receiving threats. Sa pagkakaalam ko, walang nagbabanta sa buhay ng hari. He doesn't have any political enemies as the crown is always neutral to these kind of things."

Then it was another silence.

"Prime Minister, you were supposed to be in the plane too, where were you?"

"I... I excused myself to the late King that I'll be riding in a separate plane, I was having a meeting with all of the sector secretaries. I couldn't make it on time."

"Sir," It was Gonzalo who opened the door and called their attention. His meeting with the PM is done.

"All my condolences are with you, your majesty. We will meet again for the funeral," Hernan bowed down again before walking out from the living room. His schedule with the Prime Minister was already finished.

"Sir, the Queen consort, Merida and and his royal highness, Prince Phaedron is arriving. After, you'll have to go to your office - to continue his late majesty's work."

"Gonzalo... why... why are they calling me your majesty? I don't understand. The Prime Minister bowed down and held my hand as well. I'm just a royal highness, not some majesty. It's only for my older sister and my father. I don't understand why."

In the traditional monarchy culture, only the King is designated as his majesty and the rest would be royal highnesses or your grace.

"Sir, with King Julian's death and his heir apparent, Princess Tamara, you are automatically the King - as you are the 3rd in the line of the throne."

"But I'm not... I'm not supposed to be a King. I wasn't crowned as the King."

"It's in the monarchy's constitution, Sir. You are automatically the new king since the current king and the current heir died. The coronation is just making it official for the public - but you are now the King of the Philippines, the head of the church and the state."

Madrid creased his forehead as he looked back at Gonzalo Martin. Gonzalo was looking at her seriously and uttered, "Long may you reign."

Both of them became quiet when they heard a knock. The head butler of the palace, Anarkis appeared and bowed down.

"Sir, the Queen consort and Prince Phaedron is here."

Ilang segundo naman ay pumasok na ang dalawa. Both of them looked at him with suprise.

"Madrid..." The Queen consort was hesitant, "You're here."

Pancho looked at him like he couldn't believe it himself, "You're the King."

●👑●

Fact:
In the UK monarchy, all the royal members are required to bring a black attire (especially when travelling) in case of sudden death in the family.