Chapter 21-Make me wanna kiss you

You taught me why hurricanes were named after people.
-unknown

I don't know how it's possible that I prefer the school days over the weekend; and the school over my own home.

I was walking down the street Friday night. The door to a store opened and Evan appeared in front of me. His eyes widened and he opened his mouth but he seemed unable to find his words.

"Hi." I said surprised.

"Hey."

We stayed in awkward silence for a while.

"I haven't seen you recently."

"Yeah, I've been busy." I said thinking about the drama I was in. Everyone still refused to tell me what the hell was going on and why they were all acting so weird.

I couldn't help the face I made when I saw the pack of cigs in his hand. He quickly put it in his pocket.

"So where are you going?" He asked trying to play it cool.

"Um... somewhere... um-"

"Right." He cleared his throat.

"I- I should go."

"Yeah, okay. It was good to see you."

"You too." I started walking away and then I stopped in my tracks. I turned around and he was still sitting there. "Do you want to come? With me to that place?"

"I would love to." He smiled approaching me.

We walked in silence but I felt uneasy especially because I didn't tell him where we were going and I had no idea how he was going to react.

I stopped in front of the entrance and turned to look at him. He was staring at the sign blinking.

"We're going to an NA meeting?" He asked confused.

"Yeah. I haven't been to one in a while." I shrugged. "You can go if you don't want to be here, I understand."

"No. Come on." He said and walked in.

I took a deep breath and followed him. We took a seat and I smiled around at some of the familiar faces.

Evan was obviously uncomfortable but I appreciated that he was trying to be here for me. After a while he seemed to relax and he looked over at me. I gave him an encouraging smile and he returned it.

"Does anyone want to share?"

"I would like to." I said getting up. Evan looked at me in shock. I walked over to the front of the room and cleared my throat. "Hello everybody. My name is Kora, I am 18. I have been clean for almost two years." A few people congratulated me and I smiled. "There are a lot of moments when I feel like drugs are the only solution and it's the only thing that would make me happy, but then I remember all the amazing people in my life that helped me recover. I remember how that happiness was temporary and the sadness that followed was unbearable. I remember that I am a fighter and I can get over it and figure it out no matter what. Recently the need has been a bit higher than usual, but I am handling it very well. I am very proud of myself. Thank you."

When I returned to my seat the smile on my face was huge. Talking to people who actually understand is so refreshing and it always makes me feel so good.

Our hands were next to each other and my heart was beating so loud with anticipation. I looked at the front of the room as I slowly let my fingers touch his. It felt like electricity passes through my body. I stopped and waited for him to say something, already regretting this. Instead of retracting his hand, he intertwined our fingers slowly. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the moment.