chapter 25

MASONS POV

I couldn't tell how long it had been, how many times Mike had tried to gotten me to go to sleep. The last time I had left her alone she had been taken from me, for months, i was teased with possibilities when Kate had transferred me to the other place. I was willing to give up all i was to just stay in that place forever.. just her and I and that cabin. I clenched my fists and then rubbed my eyes as I gazed warily around the room.

I had been doing that lately, double checking the corners out of reach from my eyes, hesitating when i heard sounds in the night and shadows on the walls. Paranoia was eating me away from the inside out.

It had been Vince and Kristin that had found me in the basement, holding Gemima in my arms. When Derek and Sophia had left they had taken the shell of my mate with them to the morgue, they moved around me silently like i was an obstacle yet they both had the sense to not say anything toward me. Even Sophia had kept her mouth shut, although the transfer had taken a lot of energy out of her in particular due to my Alpha strength and Derek's beta's strength mentally Sophia seemed to make up for it all.

Vince had driven me to the pack house while Kristin stared in horror at Gemima..

"That's not Gemima Mason" She had grumbled at me during the car trip. I knew of all the members of the pack Kristin would hate that I was playing around with necromancy. "Gemima died Mason! I saw her body lying on the table, she was gone! Now here you are with a girl that looks like your mate that has a slow heartbeat! WHERE ARE HER SCARS... this is unnatural Mason... you know I'd hate this". She had continued. I knew why she was so upset with me. My father, the previous Alpha, had made the decision for her father to become a rogue because he was dealing in necromancy and dark magic that he had learned from witch books. I knew my father made the right choice because Kristin's father had lost his mind and was highly unstable. That's why i couldn't meet her eyes when she pleaded at me when we reached the pack house to get rid of Gemima, i just couldn't. So she ran off screaming nonsense about double standards.

Vince had nodded to me after he had helped me taken Gemima to my room.

"She'll come around, she's just upset about her father.. I understand why you did it Alpha, so will everyone else". Vince had spoken calmly as he followed me carrying Gem to my room before nodding and leaving.

And now I watched over my mate sleeping, her dark locks covered her soft facial features, the black duvet tucked around her body so she was cocooned. Her skin wasn't looking so deathly and colour had slowly begun building in her cheeks. The soft thrumming of her heartbeat was the most delicate and uplifting sound in the world. Every once in a while her fingers would twitch slightly, she'd let out a moan or mumble my name. These small occurrences made me jump up out of the seat i was resting in and clutch at my mates hand, stroke her hair or beg for her to come back.

After 2 days Mike didn't knock like usually but burst into the room. Wearing jeans, despite the humidity, a t-shirt and a large grey coat.

"Jeez Mason you smell like a dog" Mike complained pinching his nostrils to exaggerate how bad i smelt. I hadn't showered for two days and that thought disgusted me beyond belief.

''I can't leave her side Mike"I grumbled running a hand through my hair in exhaustion. I heard a familiar voice fill the hallway outside my room and held in a groan. Kate was arguing with some guards about how she didn't need to wait for the Alpha to allow her to see him. From the corner of my eye i saw Mike smirk slightly as he checked Gem's pulse, looking down at his watch on his slim wrist.

"I can babysit Gemima, I know you think because i'm sick i'm no use so I contacted Kate who was more than willing" Mike muttered. I turned to face my friend, why would he think such a thing! Of course i didn't think he was no use.