chapter 34

Mike's POV

Chaotic is one word i could use to describe the nonsense going on around me. For some reason all the teenage girls of the pack had decided to all get ready for the celebration of Mason's birthday at the pack house... and so did all the mothers of the pack who had to try and organise their children into formal attire and force them not to shift every 5 minutes so they could brush their teeth again and comb their hair. 

The girls were running between the shared lower level bathrooms while squealing and giggling whenever a 'cute guy' would walk through the house. The females older than 17 were excitedly dashing about making sure they were looking their best, just incase they were to meet their mate at the lavish ball type party. 'Mason' had decided the theme to the party would be masqurade but everyone in the pack knew it was his mother who had chosen the theme due to her love for parties with themes. The thought had popped in my head earlier 'what if i met my mate?'. It would seem probable considering that hundreds of wolves were attending the event and due to my sickness the other balls and events that other packs were attending i couldn't go to because i was usually bed ridden. 

It was less than a half hour before the pack house would be empty and everyone would leave for the party. I sat upon the large leather couch in the lounge room as i waited for Derek and Sophia to come pick Kristin, Mason, Gemima and I up. Mason was upstairs talking to Gemima no doubtedly about if she was ready to be the possible Luna of the pack and about the importance of tonight. When i did have a chance to talk to her today she seemed.. off. Her aura ever since she'd changed had been down and with holding, which was fair enough considering what she had been through but today she just seemed so overly excited as she showed me the dress options for tonight and she kept mentioning how she just couldn't wait until the big surprise tonight. Whatever that meant. 

However on the opposite end of the spectrum lied Kristin who sat on the couch beside me, staring into space, her face blank and her shoulder's tensed. Earlier i had heard her boyfriend... ex boyfriend now, breaking up with her because she couldn't be what he needed. When she had turned around after he left she had looked me dead in the eyes and said "that's the last man i ever date". 

"What is it you are staring at Mike?" Kristin stated as she turned to look at me, her makeup making her eyes look darker then usual and made her scar gleam dangerously as she pursed her lips. Her eyes locked onto mine as she looked at me with a deadly glint, her lips curled at the side in a jester like smile as she moved closer. "I can't wait for tonight can you Mikey?" she said before she stood up as fast as a blur and moved toward the middle of the room, her short, white cocktail dress swayed ever so slightly as she did a twirl. As if she had a split personality she gave me one of the old smiles that i everyone had learned to love. Reaching to the spot beside her she grabbed her white, lacy mask and tied it over her eyes easily.

 "Oh come on Mike loosen up it's just me after all" She said as she laughed and grinned sweetly. The sound of a car beeping saved me from the confusing confrontation as i stood, smoothing down my black suit and held out my hand to my friend. Kristin flashed me a smile before accepting my hand and we walked toward the car, but not before i picked up my basic black mask that covered half of my face.

"Oh i feel like i am going to a formal or something" Kristin said from beside me as her eyes darted around excitedly, not bothering to respond i just nodded. Outside Sophia and Derek were standing beside the vehicle talking in hushed voices among themselves. Sophia's long hair was pulled back in some type of elaborate braid and she wore a floor length, black gown that clung to her curves marvelously. Her mask sparkled in a spectrum of silvery and pastel pink colors and it made her light eyes look even brighter. Derek beside her wore a crisp black suit wearing a similar mask to mine and together they looked like some deadly 007 agents.