chapter 21

Derek's POV

When i had left my Alpha to mourn his loss alone i followed the sound of crashes and the smell of death to the floor above me. That was a half hour ago yet it seemed as if i'd been fighting for years. The onslaught of bullets didn't slow no matter how many hunters were killed. It was as if when the last hunter was killed there was a shift in the air. Heavy breathing filled the air as the wolves tried to catch their  breath again, i turned to face my fellow fighters and saw the anguish in their eyes. The loss of their Luna was known and the loss of their friends and even family was heavy on their hearts. On all of our hearts. I was about to shift and reunite with my Alpha when i heard the two white doors at the end of the wide hall across from me being torn apart. My breath hitched in my throat as i turned and witnessed in horror as the hooded figures, the ones that took our Luna, melted in from the doorway. 

They moved like liquid. As if under the massive cloaks their bodies were just a surging wave of death. First two, then four... then i lost count as more and more cloaked figures filled my vision. Pure fear raced in my veins. For a split second my wolf connected to my Alpha and i felt his broken soul, heart and the fury that was erupting through him like a dormant volcano had finally gone over the edge and lava flowed in a never ending river through his body. I let this fuel me, encourage me.

"For my Luna!"  I mind linked with the remaining wolves and broke out into a sprint. Whether the wolves thought my attack was idiotic, crazy or heroic they all let out howls before sprinting behind me. To my left i saw Mike's wolf jump up onto a bench and ran up on that until it ended. I watched as he leaped off and let out a low growl as he pummeled into one of the cloaked figures, enclosing his jaws around the things body too fast for the figure to defend itself. Mike then dragged the body to the other hallway strangely before joining me again. The hooded figures were slowing advancing on us as if they had finished watching our every move. 

A high pitched growl attracted my attention as i watched Finn a wolf that had just turned 16 the other day try and replicate Mike's attack. My wolves and the hooded figures stopped moving as the hooded figure Finn no doubt was planning to kill raised its hands, pale and twisted, with long fingers and black fingernails. The hand grabbed Finn from the air and slammed his body into the ground, just before another hooded figure covered our view of Finn.

Finn yelped in distress but the pack could only watch in pain as the hooded figures surrounded Finn in a circle. Like a cult. I begun to race forward but Kristin tugged on my tail gently.

"It's too late D" She mind linked me, her voice strong and calm. I knew she was right but i felt sick to my stomach as Finn's whining turned into a full blown scream as he shifted. The circle became tighter as they moved in on their pray. 

"AGHHHUUHERH" FInn yelled out, before he started to gurgle and the sounds of flesh being ripped apart and blood began run out across the floor. The figures turned slowly and a flash of orange stroked my vision as Finn's head fell to my feet. His orange hair soaked in blood, his eyes that used to shine brightly were no longer there. Just two dark crevices of what used to be.

In our moment of shock and heart wrench that was when the figures sprung upon us. 4 glided towards us and just as they had reached my small group of around 10, they leaped up and darted at us like lighting hitting its target. I focused on one of the smaller figures and fell onto my back as it leaped over my head. I then jammed my paw into a fist and straight into the centre of the thing. It squirmed as my fist penetrated into what i'd think was its stomach, it looked down at me and for the first time i saw inside the hood. Wide black eyes stared into mine, pretty eyes, long dark lashes. I knew these eyes. I knew this face. I bought my fist back out of its stomach and shifted so i could wrap my arms around the thing, so i was carrying it bridal style.