Chapter 26

Adam's POV
I was woken up by Ava jumping on me.

"What are you doing?" I asked. She kissed me and couldn't stop smiling.

"What are you smiling at?" I asked again.

"I have a gift for you." She said. She got a box out from her nightstand and brought it over to me. She sat in front of me. I opened it and this is what I saw.

 I opened it and this is what I saw

I gasped and started crying.

"Are you serious?" I asked looking up at her. Tears were rolling down her face. She nodded smiling. I hugged her and we kissed.

"I love you." I said.

"I love you too." She replied. I put my hand on her stomach and smiled.

"Bear, please tell Hank. I don't want you out in the field." I said.

"Adam." She said.

"No Ava. We aren't discussing this. I can't bare losing you. Please tell Hank. I don't want anything to happen to you or our baby." I said and she sighed.

"Okay. We'll tell everyone when we get to work." She said and I kissed her.

"Thank you." I said.

"Jay and Will are going to be so annoying." She said and I was confused.

"Why?" I asked.

"They are already so protective over me. Now that I'm pregnant, they aren't going to let me out of their sight." She complained.

"Ava, they care about you." I said and she nodded.

"Hank's going to be excited that he's getting another grand baby." She said and I smiled.

"How are we going to tell them?" I asked.

"I bought a onesie that says, 'Don't mess with me, my Grandpa's a cop' for Hank. As for the team, I think we should just tell them." She said and I nodded. We got to work and went straight into Voight's office.

"How can I help you guys?" He asked. Ava handed him a bag with the onesie in. He opened it and started smiling.

"Are you serious?" He asked and we both nodded. He hugged us both.

"You know I'm putting you on desk duty right?" He questioned and she nodded. We walked out into the bullpen and everyone looked at us.

"Guys, I will no longer be working with you." Ava said and they all looked at her confused.

"Not in the field anyway. I have to be at the desk until I've had our baby." She said and they all started smiling. They all hugged us. We sat down at our desks. We were sat working on paperwork when Ava just started laughing. We all turned to look at her confused.

"What are you laughing at?" Hailey asked.

"Oh nothing. I just remembered something from when I was a kid." She said.

"What was it?" Jay asked.

"I was 7 and jay was 13. This kid was picking on him. He was speaking with mom and she said, 'sticks and stones may break my bones.' She asked Jay to finish the sentence. I butted in and shouted, 'but chains and whips excite me' because I thought that's what the saying was. Our mom was horrified." She said and everyone started laughing.

"I remember that." Jay said chuckling.We were working on paperwork. Voight came out of his office.

"Hailey, do you know a Kate Upton? Lives at 23rd Belmont Avenue." He asked.

"Yeah, she's my mom. Why?" She asked.

"Her body was found." He said and she started balling. Kim went over to her and hugged her.

"Where was she found?" Hailey asked.

"At her house. She was beaten to death. The detectives working on it think it's a robbery." He said.

"No no no. It wasn't a robbery." She said and everyone looked at her confused apart from Voight and I. We were there when she spoke about her abuse to a suspect.

"Your dad?" I guessed and she nodded.

"This is our case now." Voight said.

"They won't allow us to work on it because of me." She said.

"I don't care. This case is ours now." He said and we all nodded.Kevin and Kim went to go pick Hailey's dad up. They came back and walked into the bullpen. Hailey saw her dad.

"Hailey, did you hear what happened?" He asked, pretending to be a caring father.

"Yeah I did." She said. Kevin took him into the interview room.

"Can I do the interrogation?" Hailey asked Voight.

"Yes, but don't do anything stupid." He said and she went and sat across from him. We were all watching behind the glass.

"I don't get it. Why would she think her dad did it?" Kim asked.

"He was abusive. As soon as she heard her mom's COD was beating, she knew it was him." I said.

"How did you know?" She asked.

"A few years ago, when we had the case with Alderman Collier's wife. She was interrogating Devin and she spoke about it because he was abused as well." I said.

"Wait, I was in here as well when she was talking about it. I thought she made it up." Kev said.

"Nope." I replied. Hailey's dad admitted to killing her mom. We all went home. I was sat on the couch with Ava.

"God, I'm tired." She said.

"Go to sleep then." I said.

"No. I'm tired, but I'm not sleep tired." She said and I nodded.

"I'm not even fat yet and my feet are already hurting." She said and I chuckled. I brought her legs onto my lap and I started rubbing her feet.

"Thank you." She said.

"Anything for my wife and baby." I said and she smiled.

"My feet being rubbed doesn't affect the baby." She said.

"I know, but it makes you feel better. I'll do anything for you." I said and she climbed on top of me. She started kissing me. She took her shirt off.

"Can we, you know, because of the baby?" I asked.

"It's actually good for pregnancy, unless your doctor tells you not to." She said and I carried her to the bedroom.