Chapter 11

Ava's POV
Adam and I were at work. Everyone was chatting instead of doing paperwork.

"Since everyone enjoyed my humiliation last week, I spoke to all of your relatives and they sent me some funny things." Adam said and everyone's faces looked worried, including me.

"Let's start with Atwater." He said. He started playing a video of Atwater practicing kissing a doll head when he was 8. Everyone burst out laughing.

"Let's see, Burgess next." He said. He played a video of 5 year old Burgess in neon clothing and sweatbands dancing. Kim went red and no one could contain their laughter.

"Upton next." He said.

"I don't even think there's anything funny that I did as a child." She said.

"Who said it was of you as a child?" Adam asked rhetorically. She looked worried. He played a video of 21 year old hailey on her birthday getting drunk. She was passed out on the floor with her head bopping up and down.

"Oh god." She said.

"Last, but definitely not least, the Halsteads." He said smiling and I got anxious. He started playing the video and I knew what was going to happen. It was a tiktok video of Jay and I when we were 13 and 18. I dressed as him and he dressed as me. Jay walked out in a dress and heels and I came out it a baggy shirt and I wore a cap backwards with a pair of jay's sweats. Jay looked like he was going to turn into a tomato.

"I'm so sorry I laughed at you." I said to Adam.

"I'm glad you did. I got the opportunity to see this." He said. I smiled at him. I looked over at Kim who looked annoyed and upset.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

"Not really. It's my parent's anniversary and they are having a big party. My cousin is going to be there who hates me. My parents are very religious. She only hates me because she thinks I'm homophobic like them because she is gay." She said.

"I'm confused. She thinks you're homophobic, but you're with hailey." I said.

"I haven't spoken to her in a while. My parents never really approved of their niece being gay, so she just assumed I thought the same. I can't wait for her reaction when I tell her about hailey." She said smiling and I smiled at her. Hank came out of his office.

"Guys, we have a case." He said. We all headed out to the crime scene. An 8year old girl had been shot in the head. She was the only witness to a murder. As soon as I saw the body, I started crying. Who would do such a thing? Adam noticed me crying and he wrapped his arm around me. I let out soft sobs. I looked over at jay who had the same look on his face as me. He came over to me.

"It's like deja vu." Jay said.

"It sure is." I said starting to cry more.

"Hey, what is it?" Adam asked.

"Our cousin was a witness to a murder and the murderer's father shot and killed her. We were 8 and 14 at the time and she was 9." Jay said and Adam kissed my forehead.

Adam's POV
After Ava told me what happened, I kissed her on the forehead. I knew she needed to cry more. I can always sense it. She doesn't like to cry a lot in front of other people though. I took her back to the car and she started crying immediately. I took her in my arms.

"Let it out Ava bear." I said. We stayed there for a few minutes, in each other's arms. She had calmed down a bit. We drove back to the district and we were about to walk up the steps when I felt a gun to my head.

"Stop right there." The man said.

"You two are coming with me." He said. Suddenly, the team came around the corner with their guns up.

"They're not going anywhere." Voight said. He arrested the guy and Ava and I hugged. We went into the bullpen and I got a phone call.

"Hey baby bro. Yeah I can tell her. Okay bye." I said.

"Ava, my brother said that you should leave me for him." I said chuckling.

"I might consider it." She said and I got worried. Is she going to break up with me? Is she really going to leave me for my brother? I love her. She came over to me and put her hands on my cheeks.

"I'm kidding, I have the best guy in the world." She said. A weight was lifted off my shoulders. She kissed me and we went and sat back down. After we had solved the case, Ava and I headed home. She had fully moved in and we laid in bed.

"Did you actually believe I would leave you for your brother?" She asked me.

"Yeah." I said looking down nervously. She lifted my head up with her hands.

"I love YOU, not your brother. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me." She said. I smiled and I kissed her. We fell asleep after a long day.