Chapter 8

Adam's POV
It was Christmas Eve. I woke up and saw Ava sleeping. Today we were heading to my family's cabin. I didn't want to wake her but we had to get going. I moved a piece of hair out of her face and stroked my finger along her cheek.

"Ava bear, it's time to wake up." I said softly and she smiled.

"That has to be the best way to wake up." She said and I kissed her.

"You can sleep more in the car." I said. She got up and went in the shower. I didn't make breakfast because I was planning on stopping at McDonald's. She came out of my room and we got in the car. We went to her apartment first because she needed to pick up a few things before we headed off. She got back in the car and we drove into McDonald's drive thru.

"I'll hav—" She said before I cut her off.

"3 hash browns and a fresh orange because you are a picky eater when it comes to takeout food." I said and she smiled at me. We got the food and headed off. We were halfway there when I looked over at Ava who looked sad.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked.

"Just car sick." She said.

"I didn't know you get travel sick." I said surprised.

"It's because I usually drive everywhere. It's not as bad when I drive. I'm never physically sick. I think it's more my anxiety. I think it's the fact that I am in a moving vehicle and I can't get out." She said. I looked at her softly and put my hand on top of hers.

"We're nearly there Ava bear." I said.

"Who exactly is there in your family?" She asked me.

"There's my mom, dad, sister and brother. Then my two aunts and uncles and my four cousins." I said.

"That's a lot of people." She said.

"Yeah, it's a big cabin. We'll be staying in my room. It's the biggest of them all because I'm the oldest apart from my parents and aunts and uncles." I said and she nodded.

"I hope they like me." She said nervously.

"I love you, which means they are definitely going to love you." I said smiling.

"You always know the right thing to say." She said. Not long after, we arrived at the cabin and it was snowing.

"Wow! It's beautiful." She said. We got out of the car and went inside.

"Mom? Dad? Anybody?" I asked.

"We're in the living room sweetie." I heard my mom say as we walked from the hallway to the living room. I saw my family members sat on the couch. They got up and came over to me and Ava.

"Ava, it's so nice to meet you sweetie." My mom said.

"You too Mrs Ruzek." She said nervously. Ava was introduced to everyone and we sat on the couch.

"So do you have any family Ava?" My brother asked and I shot him a look.

"I have two brothers jay and Will. Jay is Adam's best friend and he also works with us in intelligence. Will is an Emergency Medicine doctor. My dad died a few months ago. However, he wrote me a letter telling me that he wasn't my biological dad and my mom had a one night stand and got pregnant with me. I ran my DNA and it turns out our boss is my biological father." She said.

"Wow!" My brother said.

"How come you aren't spending Christmas with them?" My dad asked.

"Well my family never really was one of those families who watched movies and decorated the whole house. My grandparents died on Christmas Day when I was 3. After that, Christmas became a day where we mourned instead of celebrated. My brothers are older than me so they remember my grandparents a lot more than I do." She said. She never told me about her grandparents. My family looked at her sympathetically.

"Question, if you were to end things with my brother, would I have a shot with you?" My brother asked.

"Jacob Daniel Ruzek don't be so rude." My mom said.

"What? She's hot." Jacob said.

"You mean she's way out of your league." Lucy said.

"Thank you." I said and Ava smiled at me.

"1. You're not my type 2. That question isn't relevant because I'm not ending things anytime soon." She said and I smiled at her. My family got to know her a bit better.

"Would you guys like a hot chocolate?" My dad asked.

"I'll have one." I said.

"Yes please." Ava said and I got a text.

"Ava, I just got a text from Will, jay broke his leg." I said.

"Is he alright, what happened?" She asked worriedly.

"Calm down, he's fine. He was in the bullpen and he tripped over his own foot." I said laughing.

"I'm not surprised when it comes to jay." She said. We sat drinking hot chocolate when I looked at my mother. She took a photo of all of us.

"Mom, I've told you not to take photos with me in. If you put it on Facebook, I will report you." Lucy said causing us all to laugh.

"Ava's like that. She won't get in a photo unless she has a full face of makeup on." I said and Ava smiled at me.

"Only because I look better with makeup on and knowing you, you'll catch me in a photo at the worst moment." She said and I looked at her.

"You're perfect with and without makeup." I said. She kissed me and I wrapped my arm around her. Jacob pretended to gag.

"No wonder you haven't got a girlfriend." Ava said causing everyone to erupt into laughter.

"Adam, she is by far the best girlfriend you have ever had." Lucy said.

"Why would you say that?" Ava asked.

"Because you do the one thing that makes me happy, insult Jacob." She said. We all sat talking. I looked at Ava and saw her sleeping peacefully. I knew she would fall asleep. She didn't get the best night's sleep last night.

"Aww, the poor thing looks exhausted." My mom said.

"Yeah she didn't sleep well last night." I said.

"Why?" My dad asked.

"About 6 weeks ago she was kidnapped. The guy beat and raped her. She's still having nightmares but it's getting better." I said. My dad nodded sadly. I picked Ava up and carried her to my room. I placed her on the bed and went to get our suitcases out the car. I came back in the room with them and I got her some pyjamas out. She was still asleep and I changed her and tucked her in the bed. I got tired and got in the bed with her. As I pulled her closer to me, she smiled.

"Goodnight Ava bear, I love you." I said kissing her forehead.

I fell asleep in my happy place. Not in the cabin, not in the bed, but with the most amazing girl I have ever met.