Chapter 2|The Assassin

The courtyard was set up for the Symposium or banquet. Unlike a regular banquet which consisted of eating and drinking; the Symposium consisted of music and dance by women.

Only prestigious men were allowed to this banquet, while the females had a different banquet of their own. Acrisius made sure that all the important governors of the neighboring city states had received the invitation.

The large oak wood table was set in the center. The table was short yet wide and sturdy. Comfortable cushions of cotton and silk were placed on the floor in front of the table.

The couches were arrayed against the three walls of the courtyard with the table at the center

The couches were arrayed against the three walls of the courtyard with the table at the center. A flat pulpit was made towards the rear end of the courtyard, for the musicians and dancers.

The torches around the huge mansion were lit by the buzzing army if servants who were cramming up in the last few hours before the guests could arrive.

Philosophers from Athens and burly warriors from Sparta flocked in as governors of nearby provinces joined along with their wives or concubines.

The women were led to the right wing of the mansion where Danaë sat along with her mother- Eurydice and the other governesses and concubines.

The women wore heavy peplos, which was thick and woven out of wool. The peplos was a rectangular piece of clothing, which was griddled around the waist leaving an overfold over the breast. The peplos was of ankle length and often teemed with pins and brooches
of various colours and subtle jewelry which made them look elegant. The musicians sat to one corner of the courtyard playing the flute and lyre.

They were soft and subtle, melodious in their laughter and soft in their voices. Their actions delicate and dainty. Their banquet was rather quite and peaceful.

To the right wing of the mansion where the men sat, it was rather too boisterous and loud. Ashwatthama, though in the typical Macedonian attire, was completely out of place.

He looked at a young man who was busy laughing loudly and turned to Adonis asking, "Who's that?"

"He's the illegitimate son of Acrisius. His name's Theodore." Replied the man breaking the barley bread into two and offered one to Ashwatthama.

He took the bread and stared at the suckling pig which lied on the platter filled with tomatoes and lettuce at the side.

The brahmin felt like puking at the very sight of the roasted pig. He inagined the animal opening it's eyes and do a small 'oink oink' on the table itself.

 He inagined the animal opening it's eyes and do a small 'oink oink' on the table itself