Chapter 3|Odysseus' Play

"There he is..." Groaned Ajax pointing to Odysseus who was busy tilling the land with the help of a donkey.

Agamemnon looked at Ajax snapping, "He has lost his head! He is scattering salt in his field!"

Ajax shook his head in dismay, my friend, have wars transformed you into a madman or are you simply trying to avoid this?

"He's of no use to us." Said Agamemnon and was about to turn his back, but Menelaus began pleading, "Brother, I implore you, we need Odysseus in this battle."

"He's a maniac!" Retorted Agamemnon pointing at a rather silent Odysseus who was still scattering a handful of salt on the ground.

He pretended not to hear nor notice any of them. Penelope, Odysseus' wife watched her husband anxiously as she cradled their five month old son in her arms.

Menelaus continued begging, "I implore you brother. I know he feigns madness to avoid participating. We shan't leave Ithaca empty-handed."

Odysseus continued to plow the land without a single expression on his face; but his mind was alert

Odysseus continued to plow the land without a single expression on his face; but his mind was alert. Freaking fool, please leave. I don't want to join this baseless battle. Get lost....

Agamemnon was rather frustrated with his stupid brother and finally ordered Palamedes to snatch the infant from his mother's hands.

Palamedes was one of the warriors under Sparta and a blind faithful dog to Agamemnon. He marched to an aghast Penelope and snatched the infant. At once, the infant began sobbing loudly.

Penelope dashed behind the man trying to stop him but in vain. Palamedes placed the weeping infant in front of the plow and looked at Agamemnon and Menelaus saying, "If he kills the child, that means he's insane; if not, he feigns it."

"But this isn't...."

"Oh cut it Ajax!" Snapped a furious Menelaus immediately.

Odysseus was burning with rage. He stared at his infant and dropped the plow immediately. Running towards his child, he picked him up and glared at furiously at the two brothers.

"That proves you aren't mad." Concluded Agamemnon with a smirk and walked off with his brother in toe, followed by Palamedes.

Ajax exhaled sharply saying, "Neither you, nor I have a choice brother."

Odysseus kissed his infant son on his forehead as he watched the rosy looking infant blow raspberries from his mouth. Penelope gently leaned her forehead against her husband's saying, "I pray for your return."

"