Chapter 27|The journey ahead

"May the warm gushing blood of the child be acceptable to you oh master..."

A weight of heaviness hung in the grey air that surrounded the hall. A cold black of evil seemed to creep amidst them seeing a shudder down Perses spine. He felt the throttle of cold sleek fingers against his throat and opened his mouth to gasp.

The metallic stench of blood and the cold air, seemed to mingle and thicken the doom and gloom of the wretched place.

The lad simply couldn't wrap his mind around the thousands of masked soldiers standing and watching a ritualistic murder without batting an eyelid.

This is surely the underworld, he concluded. No one in their right mind would ever be party to such hideous blood rituals other than demons themselves.

He now found it bizarre that the tall masked and armoured men countinued to stand as if awaiting something more. What were they going to do now, celebrate canabalism?

Instead, one of the men stepped forward and lifted the limp bloodied body and began quietly marching out. As if on cue, all of them plodded out in a single file until they reached an ocean.

Dark black waters lapped at the grey sands hungrily, as the poor soulless child was thrown into the waters.

Amidst the darkness, a dark shadow coiled around the bobbing dead child and dragged it to the depths of the unknown.

What the hell was that? She's become fish food? Or....oh dear no! Leviathans food? A torrent of fear seemed to grip and grasp his thudding heart. He seemed to imagine himself turning into their next sacrifice and being gobbled by some sea dragon.

A great splash arose and the beast surfaced to his full height. It seemed to touch the heavens. It's eyes red and burning with nothing but hatred. His scales sparkled green amidst the pitch black sky.

The moon sank behind the clouds and the starts faded away into fear. Nothing but darkness remained and it's red eyes darting quickly.

"Hail master!" Greeted one of the chieftain.

"My son..." He hissed as his blood red forked tongue shot out of its mouth.

The chieftain bowed his head and the humongous serpent hissed once more, "Have you found the key to control the world of the egoist?"

"No my lord." He replied, his once booming voice now reduced to hardly a notch above a whisper.

"FOOL!" Hissed the beast as if it was stabbed with a spear. "Long I have been thrown and tossed like a baggage because of men. Long have I waited to finish them and drag them into the abyss with me...."

What exactly did we do to bear his grudge? Wondered Perses who shrank further in the darkness where he stood at the end of the line hidden from the serpents sharp view.

"I tried to rule the earth...men, the beasts of the land, the birds of the air and fish of the sea....but the egoist had it all....washed....and now....I'M STUCK WITH FOOLS...." The annoyingly high pitched hiss and now turned into a loud roar.

Perses nearly fell on his haunches at the sound of the roar and immediately, all the men went down on their knees. Perses quickly scrambled to his knees trying his best to appear as one among them. But he realized that if he didn't stop the constant tremble in his body, he'd be caught and sacrificed next.

"My lord, we will conquer the other world." Said the men in one loud voice.

"Then do so...." He hissed and sank back into the depths of the sea and the men stood up and continued to bow their heads.