after hours; nothing compares to the emptiness we both share (part five)

You asked for my heart, but I didn't know where to start

But they won't think of you like I do

Jennie

Fate knew that this never-ending cycle of our love would crush us both. But surprisingly I found myself walking to her hospital bed, staring down at her beauty as I heaved a sigh, watching how steady her breathing was.

A couple of bruises covered her face and it's been almost three weeks. The doctors said she would take time to heal, but I knew I was a part of the pain she's going through.

All I wanted was a piece of her heart, to hold onto it.

But instead, I was met by her ignorance and her sharp claws, pulling on the strings of my heart.

When I decided to walk away.

I walked away for me.

I walked away for her to heal.

Somehow it seems that even though we aren't together, our bodies and souls always find a way back to each other. Lisa had this irresistible nature as we push and pull like magnets but there isn't a middle ground between us.

We were both too stubborn to either give in or give out.

And maybe nature itself created loose strings on souls when they meet. It leaves them intertwining, holding the breathtaking moments like a faint aim at their hearts.

But I still saw it.

I still saw beauty in her when everything about her screamed 'danger'.

Even when my brain was telling me to back away and to leave that hospital room, I still stayed and listened to the ventricular assist device show a clear sign that she was alive.

I gulped hard and felt shivers go up and down my spine as I moved closer.

I did the most unexpected thing and held her hand.

I held Lisa's hand.

"L-Lisa-ya?". All of a sudden, I felt emotional.

Being here and seeing her face--made me feel so emotional yet alive at the same time. "I..".

I swallowed hard as tears emerged from my eyes. "I'm s-so sorry".