the bridge and the swan

The start of winter comes as Lisa takes her last spin and settles in for the slow dance of her feet. Across her dreamy eyes, a bridge drew her in.

The bridge was a welcoming arch of golden bricks amid the green hills.

At the midpoint of the bridge, letting one's feet completely rest, staying in an extended moment, hearing the blues of the water sing in mirrored moonlight notes.

But those chimera angel monsters stood by the bridge, watching her walk closer.

The monsters were harnessed up to pull Lisa through obscurity.

It was as though she saw that they were fledged monsters hiding behind angel masks.

A figure of a black swan made her breath hitch. How can darkness be so beautiful?

"Don't we try to reach time? But we remain hostages". The black swan spoke, "Don't chase after your shadow, Lisa. There is nowhere to hide from your monsters".

The autumn hues came through the lightly dappled frost. The swan with its dark colors seemed gloomy and beautiful. It pulled Lisa in, but the monsters were contaminating her thoughts.

She started to panic, as the creature with crumpled, broken scales, pulled on her arm. It seemed like it had succumbed to decay and was on its way to decomposition.

Fear and panic rushed through her body as the monster spoke, "We are all born with a little monster and a little angel within, we choose which to nurture or kill. And you can't run away from us".

The Swan remained standing, whispering, "Monsters are too afraid to face the pain of lost love or risk harm in the court of ego, so they become instruments for the development of hell on Earth, so let her go".

But it was too late, they pulled her down the bridge.

Her whole being was like the sound of glass when it shatters.

The monsters growled in Lisa's ear, but the Swan remained standing, almost hoping for the skies to thunder.

The monsters only knew evil.

The swan gave comfort.

But, Lisa was lost in time, she was lost in herself.

Her brush with insanity turned her into a savant.

The curse was enormous. The blessing was enormous.

That is how the world works.

That is what falling down, and letting your thoughts take over you does.

Most of it is based on irrational fears and remorse, but a master like her could say what was true because the universe placed flags only she could sense and shone lights only she could see.

It was as though her spirit radiated a dark light, and the demons were etched in ink that could not be seen. She was the greatest light, the one who was sent to reveal the secret world of vice and restore true virtue.

How big can the universe be? and how fast can you fall?

With pretty black wings, the swan flung down the bridge and pulled Lisa up. Even though the monsters were pulling her down.

"Hold on, don't let go of me. They will keep chasing once you try to hide.. hold my hand tighter".

Lisa did as told.

And realized that this wasn't just a swan.

This was in fact, a woman.

A female swan with the prettiest eyes.

Her eyes were brown.. but seemed black. Almost empty but full of light and mystery.

'Hold on, don't let go of me. They will keep chasing once you try to hide.. hold my hand tighter'.

The swan's words kept repeating inside Lisa's head.

How can such beauty be a saving?

With a tighter grip, the Swan pulled Lisa up.

She was able to see the light once again.. but with the beauty in front of her, she was so mesmerized.

"You didn't let them get to you". The swan softly spoke.

"Yeah, a part of me couldn't". Lisa looked at her eyes and wasn't able to control the next thing that came out of her mouth; "But well, you saved me with your black eyes, and you saw my soul in one glance, something no one else could. That was the first time I felt truly alive. I had the impression that I might be who I think I am. Somewhere where I belong.. down there, with them".

"You aren't the first to come here..". The swan gently spoke. "I knew there were people who felt the same way you did, and they didn't even try".

Lisa nervously pulled her necklace off and waved it in the air for the Swan, "I would like to give you this. You can keep it with you. Legends say this can only be given to the purest souls. Since you are the swan, I can see all the warmth in you".

The swan smiled as Lisa was left heartstruck, asking, "What's your name?".

"Jennie".

"You are the..". Lisa gulped hard, feeling foolish as she stood in front of the pretty creature.

"The queen of Swans, in this village". Jennie confirmed.

"I heard your name but I've never seen..--". The Swan placed her index finger on Lisa's lips to stop her. "This shall be a secret between us, dear".

The swan smiled. "Remember to not chase after your shadow, Lisa".

With that, the Swan was gone.

To be trapped in such beauty and mind is torture; so what makes you so human?

-

𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓇

If the universe's poem is life, I am but a speck of ink on its paper

-romi