Seventeen

He never showed up— not at breakfast, not in potions, not even a glance of him in the hallways, and as much as Effie was still angry with him, she was starting to get worried, it wasn't like him to not come crawling back by now.

She tried her hardest to go about her business and not think about him, but it was near impossible, all she could think about was Malfoy, she caught herself countless times looking over at where he should have been sat, or jumping whenever someone walked through the door just incase it was him.

The thoughts rushed through her head— maybe he'd maybe taken the day off and went back to his room once he was sure she'd left, so once classes were done for the day Effie headed straight to the end of the Slytherin dungeons, her feet were going faster than her brain could comprehend, she didn't even know what she was going to say to him when she saw him but she just needed to see him.

She knocked on the large mahogany door lightly, but there was no answer, so she knocked a little louder.

"Malfoy?" She shouted through the door, but there was still no sort of reply.

After a couple of minutes she decided to brave it and go in anyway— there were no locks on any doors at Hogwarts, and there was a chance that he could have just been sleeping, but when Effie slipped into the room, she was met with the same sight as this morning, no Malfoy, trunk still not been touched, the room was freezing due to the window being opened all day, so he definitely hadn't been here.

She sat on his bed, holding onto the silk sheets, wondering hopelessly where he could be, knowing that this really wasn't like him. He wouldn't just disappear for some silly argument, he would have known deep down it was a misunderstanding.

This wasn't right, this had bad written all over it.

The soft feel of the sheets must have made Effie doze off, she frantically awoke at nine o'clock that night in the pitch black on Malfoy's bed, she'd missed dinner and she was absolutely starving.

She decided it was a hopeless idea sitting here waiting for Malfoy to return, and she'd seem like the biggest creep in the world if he did come back and she was here in his bed, especially after the way things had went the day before.

Effie went back to her own dorm and headed to her own bed, it made her feel empty not being next to him, she had shared a bed with the boy for the past three weeks, she was slowly but surely, falling deeply in love with him and he had just left, no explanation, no nothing. Just left her to wonder where she went so wrong.

~*~

One whole week passed, one whole week without Malfoy.

Effie tried to hide it but it was killing her, she was so worried about him, where could he be? Was he in trouble? Was it her fault?

She'd been so quiet since he left, her friends had even noticed the sudden void in her personality. Effie was always a joker, always the one to come to for advice, but now, she wouldn't even be able to advise herself, she was lost in a world of her own thoughts and worries. The girl was almost unapproachable.

She fought the urge every single night to walk to his dorm and wait for him patiently to come back, but tonight was different, she tossed and turned for hours thinking about him, he was running rings around her poor brain, she couldn't sleep at all and with that she slid out of bed and along the Slytherin corridors.

His room was still empty, untouched and freezing, she closed the window and climbed into the bed, wrapping the silk sheets around her shoulders. It felt easier to fall asleep here, even though he wasn't here, she still felt he was close to her, the room still smelt of peppermint and apples, the smell that she loved so much, it was enough to make her cry, but it also was enough to finally send her into a deep slumber.