Chapter Nine : The Inevitable

Our basketball court was stretched to a extent,surrounded by minimal trees, the students seldom played basketball there.
The assembly ground became our playground, and as it was our Games period. My friends stood in groups dividing teams for Kho-Kho.

Sarah and I headed towards them, giggling and talking, cracking lame jokes was our thing.
I suppressed my laughter and stared seriously at my friends who gave us a surprise glare.

"What is she doing here anyways?" Raghav said giving the most ignorant look ever, asking Sarah about me.

"Why do you care? She would play with us" Sarah retorted

"Us. Who...us?" Siya raised her brow

Before Sarah could concoct an answer, they made it clear, I was prohibited in their group. That was it.

"Come on Sarah" I held her hand and we were about to turn to go until Aditya and Arjun jumped in between.

Aditya seemed he was in a happy,go - lucky mood, whereas Arjun had a lopsided smile on his face.
I scanned his face to interpret the meaning when Aditya squirmed, "Hey guys. Where are you going?"

"It's none of your business. Monkey!! And if you also like to join that so called friend circle. Go on and never talk to us" Her grip on my hand got tighter, indicating no one would blow away the candle of our friendship.

"You are so foolish, Crocodile. We came here to reveal the truth, not to break friendship with anyone of us" Aditya stated, the words coming from his mouth was scarcely credible.

"Minnie. Why don't you tell us, why did you complain to Poorvi Ma'am?" Arjun crossed his arms on his chest.

Everyone looked at Minnie with disbelief, it was astonishing that Minnie would do that, she looked like the most naive girl ever met. But guess what, Looks can be deceptive, she was the most conniving and deceitful girl of our class.

Initially Mini refused to confess her deeds, but when Jai asked, "I am asking for the last time, Minnie. Did you do it or not?"

Tell the crocodile tears or her pupils dilating, tears rolled down her cheeks when she looked in Jai's eyes

"I complained to Purvi Ma'am because I was..I was jealous of Siya." Minnie said hysterically

Siya squinted her eyes and was about to explode in anger when Jai grabbed her hand, calming her down, and she did.

"I overheard Naina and Sarah talking about Siya and Jai." Minnie said "And I..liked him"

Jai faintly wiped his face with his palm , and processing what just he heard now.

"This is crazy Minnie. And you knew Purvi Ma'am hold grudges against us. So why not, tell her. Amazing, it's fucking vindictive" Veer clapped his hands and cheering for Minnie in sarcasm.

"You know what, I think you should apologize to all of us and then admit to the Principal that it was your idea" Divya shrilled

"No" I blurted in middle of the interrogation. "No one has to do anything."

'We are very sorry to you Naina but this girl has to..." I cut Veer off while speaking

"If you really want my forgiveness, then promise me you won't try to break friendship with anyone of us. We all are social creatures and survive on the social relationships. We have to be humble towards her, so she wouldn't do this type of thing ever again. If we don't forgive her, and abuse her,then we aren't less than gruesome beings. It is our friendship, at the end that makes us the most lovable beings."

I know it looked like some boring school speech, but it was one of my reflex responses.

Smile formed on everyone's faces. I tilted my head to look at Arjun whose eyes were shining, and he was smiling brightly. I beamed at him.

Our eye contact broke when Veer grunted, "So let's start the game"

"Yeah, before completing some unfinished tasks" Sarah and I said in unison.

"And we also" Adi and Arjun said in sync

Everyone chortled at our syncing responses.

Sarah, I, Adi and Arjun took a small walk to the primary school building and stopped near the guava tree.

"So Monkey, Why do you want to be friends with us, I mean Naina and I" Sarah sneered

"As Naina said, Our friendship makes us the most lovable beings. You need to work on human emotions Crocodile" Aditya smirked

Sarah rolled her eyes and mumbled 'Whatever' which was least audible.

"Wait, Why are you calling each other with Animals name" I asked, my eyeballs moving back and forth at them.

"This is what we like to call each other" Aditya smiled disparagingly

I shaked my head and chuckled at their affectionate yet hate vibes. Sarah and Adi began to fight and mock each other. Arjun and I slipped away without being noticed by them while they were preoccupied.

"So, How are you?" I asked

"Not good. Family problems and I can't really focus on my studies" He said glumly, his sweet mood turned sour at the mention of his family.

"What happened? Anything serious" My concerned side was switched on.

"My step mom wants to leave us, My father and I. My mother passed away when I was 6 and my father married after few months. It was because he needed someone to take care of us, only he needed, I didn't. The new step mother least looked after me, as she hated me. She brainwashed my father or manipulated him whatever you say. My father is being against my dreams and wishes. It was always like this but the moment of leaving alone like before, haunts my father. And now, he wants to abandon me" Tears welled up in his eyes.

"No way. How can he do it, he is your father, your biological father. Does it concern him or not?" I shrieked, at that moment, I wanted to hug him.

For the first time, I saw the vulnerable side of Arjun. He showed he was strong and independent, but deep down he was vulnerable and unconsolable.

 He showed he was strong and independent, but deep down he was vulnerable and unconsolable

Hey guys, Comment down your thoughts on the chapter.

What do you think about Naina and Arjun??