Chapter 22: (Almost) one of us

It's been a week after the conversation with Jimin-ssi and classes have finally start again. I've been significantly getting better at going places without the needing to wear a wig, and though I haven't really gotten the courage to go without one to my classes, I've already gone to work at the coffee shop with my real hair once. The reaction I got was better, so much better than I expected. Boram unnie nodded approvingly, saying she knew it would look good on me the moment Hunnie showed it on her phone and kept bragging about it the entire shift saying 'I knew it!' and 'I told you so' to God-knows-who. Manager unnie was so excited by the 'potential increase-in-sale the new hair is going to bring' that she wanted me to dye it in pretty colours right away. Hugging them in relief (with an extra pat to manager unnie in an attempt to hopefully get the neon-green hair out of her mind), I went home that day and gave the list a double tick.

The amount of support and love blanketed my heart in a warm embrace and right there and then, I made up my mind to show up at the store like that. It's not like I can wear the wig forever and based on how most people didn't seem remotely disturbed by it in the coffee shop, I figured it's the perfect time for the next step. Therefore, after a pleasant call with the convenience store's manager yesterday to get permission to show up with an unusual hairstyle, today, after class, I will officially go to the store without it.

~~~~~~~~~~

Eleven-fifty a.m., still a bit early.

I shove my phone down my pocket and let my hand runs through my hair, trying to shake the tingly feeling off my fingers.

Another deep breath. I walk towards the store.

The door opens.

"Oh, Y/n, great, you're here, tag me out of here." Moonsik rushes at the cashier, clearing his stuff and locking the cash drawer before rushing to the staffroom without looking up even once.

I walk over to the staffroom and stop in front of the closed door. "Moonsik? You've got a shift today?" My brow furrows. "Geez, how many hours do you do per week these days? And why the heck are you in such a hurry?"

"Hahaha. Says someone who has two jobs," he faintly mutters from the other side, the sound muffled by bristling of clothes.

"Oh shush," I roll my eyes. "Is Hunnie here yet?"

"Hunnie? Early? You sure you're her best friend?" he laughs loudly then suddenly yelps as I hear loud cluttering from outside the door.

"She could be very early if she's enthusiastic about something. You're okay?" I laugh.

"Yeap! Just tripped and almost split my head open. Anyway—" he then mumbles a few muffled words that I just can't understand.

"What?"

"I said, and work is supposed to be one of those things?"

"What thing?"

"Hunnie. Early if she's enthusiastic about something. Remember? Are you sure I'm the one who hit my head?"

"Yes, you're still an idiot. And yes, sharing a shift with me is," I smirk, "and that's not the only reason today is special."

"Yes yes, the regular public display of 'I actually have a best friend'. And I thought I'm your best friend too! Are you not pleased when you share a shift with me, my liege?"

"Shut up." I frown in distaste. He cackles.

"Well, what were you talking about?" Moonsik finally reappears stumbling out the door, still fixing the last of his t-shirt to make sure it doesn't look like he just woke up. I wait for him to look up but it's almost like he avoids it.