Chapter 8: Missing *insert a person*

(Copyright Disclaimer: the illustration above is not mine. It belongs to Adam Lowe and I found it on pinterest)

~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up with erratic breathing.

I wait, sitting on the bed with a straight back, breathing deep breaths until my lungs can't take it anymore. Slowly, Y/n, slowly. Slowly, again and again until my respiration levels again. The room feels slightly cold but I'm sweating all over. My shirt is warm and damp. Damn it. I have to change the sheets. What was that?

A nightmare. I haven't had one in a while.

I hug my pillow and submerge myself in its case. The smell of something familiar gives me a bit of comfort. The room is still dark and quiet. I lay back on the bed and stare at the blurry ceiling. All I can think about at the moment is how much I miss my mom. When was the last time I spoke to her? What did she do years ago when I come scurrying to her bed and hid in her blanket from a nightmare? Did she pat my head and tell me everything's fine? Or did she hug me without a word, just the comfort of her body temperature? It was too long ago, I can't seem to remember. I look for my phone and find it next to my pillow. It's four-thirty, still too early, I'll call her in the morning. I look back to the ceiling hoping that staring at it for long enough might drag me back asleep.

The next time I check for the time, my phone screen says four-thirty five. Time seems to stretch eternally and instead of getting sleepy, I'm just getting bored.

Who are you kidding? You're not sleeping anymore, might as well think happy thoughts to pass the time. I sigh. Happy thought. Think about happy thoughts.

Flashes of images swirl in my brain and I close my eyes to relive them. The funny look on Baram unnie's face when she saw Min Suga coming through the door in the morning, Hunnie's excitement when cursing that person who insulted her in the 'Great Shout-out, Hunnie when she was fangirling on Jungkook, and the funny customers who were debating on why Iced Americano is AA for short instead of IA, which to be fair is a very good point. I still think about it sometimes when I'm operating the espresso machine.

My lips slowly curl up into a smile on their own. Good. Let's continue.

Moonsik's reaction when I called him moonmoon, Jin-ssi trying to hold back his laughter when he hands me that autograph on his receipt for Hunnie, last night's pasta dinner, seeing Hunnie excitedly working on her designs, the end of exams, the post—

No. Let's not go there right now. Lets' go back, way back.

I sigh, finally opening my eyes. The time shows five-twenty. It's working. Good. Let's keep doing that.

I think about many more things. The pancake we ate, the picture Hunnie sent me at Haneul unnie's wedding of her beating up her brothers, the harabeoji that reminds us of Jin-ssi—

The images come unprompted and flow one into another. When I'm finally satisfied and my mood has reached its maximum capacity and can't possibly advance upward further, my usual alarm rings. It's six-thirty. I made it till morning.

I stretch both my arms tightly above my head and get out of my bed, finally ready to be awake.

***

The line clicks.

"Hi, mom."

"Ah, Y/n! How are you? Did you always wake up this early?"

"Yeah, I'm usually up by now. I heard waking up early is good for you."

"Yes, as long as you sleep early too," she laughs softly. Gosh. I miss her.