Chapter 29: Home

"Y/n, all set?"

"Yeah, just grabbing my jacket." I yawn, trying to pull the oversized sleeve over my arm but it gets twisted at the back.

"Turn around," and I do as she says. After some quick work with a lot of under the breath mutterings of 'how the heck did you get stuck that bad, you must be a miracle worker, Y/n,' the jacket is finally in place. I sling my backpack that was on the floor.

"Wish me—"

"Good luck!" she lunges at me and I laugh, feeling all the energy and support I need for what is going to come. I breathe lightly.

"Okay, I gotta go. See ya tonight."

"Y/n, you'll be alright."

I nod and leave.

~~~~~~~~~~

Bzz. Bzz. Thump.

What was that?

Thump.

Earthquake? No.

I open my eyes. Window. Mini foldable table. Bag. Right. The train home. I yawn, having fallen asleep in the middle of it. The train buzzes quietly under my feet and shakes with the little bumps along the way and I feel overcome by the still water of serenity.

Still water. I was standing on still water, just like last night. I decided not to run. Not to shout. I don't know for sure what might happen. In my head and in my heart, things will be fine. They were actually never not, fine. My parents have always been great. It was the ones I created in my head that was a little terrifying, though it was baseless.

I know the ones in my dreams are not my real parents, but fear has always fogged up my dreams anyway, blurring my visions, keeping my eyes closed and muffling my brain to stop it from shouting 'it's a dream.' I never once had a lucid dream. Until last night, the same that just repeated a few minutes prior. Something changed.

I didn't tell her this time. I knew she wasn't real, she wasn't my mom, she was my fear. So I stopped giving her a reason to make me fear for her action. I didn't tell her. And for the entire duration of the night, there we were, standing above still water. I didn't reach for her and she didn't run away from me. We stood still, looking at each other in the eye.

Things will be fine, whatever happens. I can't back down, I'm already on the train home. And I miss home. I miss my mom, I miss my dad. I miss my dad's fail attempts at 'fusion dishes' and my mom's hand that still ruffles my hair like I'm five. At the end of the day, I just want to see them. It's been too long.

Krrr. Krrr.

My alarm goes off exactly at one-fifteen. Twenty more minutes before the train reaches the station I've known all too well. I quickly tap my phone to turn it off before I bother the entire compartment only to see messages.

6 new messages from Moonsik

Moonsik: Just saw her.

Moonsik: She's in the restroom right now.

Moonsik: Love you chinggu. She's so cool!

Moonsik: SHE LIKES ANIME TOO

Moonsik: From where did you know her?????

Moonsik: Oh, she's coming back!

Moonsik: Laterrrrr

I laugh. That's right. It's today. I hope things are going well for him. I hope we all end up fine. I hope in the end, we could all say that our youth is spent happily. I know that I'll probably end up laughing at my current self, ten years from now on, thinking how stupid I am being for making such a big deal out of it, and maybe it is a big deal. But, hopefully, I do. Hopefully ten years from now, I'll laugh about the events of today because then it means things will be a-okay.