Chapter 35: I think so

"Now tell me everything that happened in the coffee shop?"

"Where do you want to start?"

"I don't know, ehm, anything interesting."

"You mean when Jimin-ssi arrived?"

"I was aiming for a slight euphemism," she sticks her tongue out and kicks a little rock on the pavement. "But sure, why not."

I smile. "Well, he came near the end of my shift with a notepad and ordered a drink, something about looking for inspiration. Then, Baram Unnie made me coffee after my shift and I was planning to go home after I finished it, but Jimin-ssi invited me to sit with him and I ended up staying there for a while. When Jungkook-ssi came, my coffee was finished and he bought me another round. I tried to decline it because it was too nice of him, but he insisted, saying he's still worried or something along the line. I ended up staying there until you called. That's the gist of it."

"Damn, Y/n. You really do have some sort of magnet, don't you?"

"Don't know. It would be quite scary if I do."

"Oh. Wait. You said." She stops in the middle of the pavement, that is fortunately empty, and turned to me. "Jimin insisted on buying you coffee because he was still worried. Worried for what?"

Shit. "I don't know. Maybe he— he thought I overworked myself?"

"Y/n."

I sigh. You're terrible at this.

"I may, or may not, had a rather rude customer today."

"Rude? On the scale of Moonsik to me, myself and I, how rude?"

"I did say may or may not. Maybe it's the may not! Who know—"

"Where in the scale?"

I sigh and tilt my head around, stretching my neck. "It would be, in your own words, er, some of your fellow peers' taste in hair?"

She gasps. "How dare they! What did they do?" Wow, she wasn't kidding when she said she didn't think some of her peers are that great. I raise a little white flag and tell Hunnie the whole story, not forgetting the part where Baram Unnie so bravely defended me of course. In fact, I rush towards it, jumping along across the lake like a bouncing pebble racing to reach the land on the other side. Hunnie would be worried otherwise. "He what! He dared splashed coffee on you?! That little—" and I'll cut it there for now to spare your ears from Hunnie's boss-level swearing game. "That's it. I'll kill that—" more censoring here, "personally."

"Why do it personally when you can hire a hitman." I stretch my arms this time, not knowing what to do with them.

"I guess you make a good point. Are there hitmen in Korea though?"

"I don't know. Maybe?"

Hunnie shrugs and we fall into a comfortable silence as the sky darkens and all the street and shop-signs begin to light up. The street is getting quieter by each step and that's how we know we're getting closer. The shop is a somewhat hidden gem, a cult favourite. Even people who are born and raised in Seoul often have no clue that the place exists. But it does and it's a treasure. The thing about it is that the shop is always full but never so crowded that you have to wait in line for more than fifteen to twenty minutes, which is heavenly. I personally think that's one of the reasons not more people know of it. Gatekeeping. People who know and love it aren't willing to tell all their friends and families to preserve the peace. Like a wonderful little secret or an exclusive little club. Most of the frequent visitors are people who stumbled upon the shop by accident and got hooked instantly. I realise that neither Hunnie and I have ever mentioned the place to other people as well. But for us, or for me at least, I don't have that many people in Seoul to share it with.