Chapter 17: In which promises are broken and kept

I'm back again this week. Thank you so much to carrotcake2511 via AO3 for leaving supportive comments in many chapters! It's nice to remember that there are actual people reading this and it's not just the website or a virus which keeps on adding numbers to the view even when there's nothing. You keep me going! Hope everyone enjoys the chapter. Happy reading!

~~~~~~~~~~

I can do this.

It looks good on you Y/n, it looks good on you. I say while stealing glances at myself on every surface I can. Be confident. Come on, it's cool. You look cool. And for the entire morning preparation, I bought it.

I brush my teeth calmly, I comb my hair with a smile and dress for work with confidence. When I'm all neat with my eco bag on my shoulder, I stare at myself in the mirror for the last time before going back into the house, running towards Hunnie's wig station. I can't do it. I can't go out looking like this. Not yet at least.

What do you mean you can't? You did it yesterday to the movie! Granted you were wearing a cap and you tucked you bang away at the end of the movie, but it doesn't mean you didn't wear it out before the movie? No one even looked at you weirdly! You promised to be more confident! It's all just in your head.

Ah, yes, but we all live in our heads, do we not?

I find the cute wig Hunnie prepared for me in case of a low-self-esteem emergency and glance towards Hunnie's bed. She's still sound asleep, no doubt tired after yesterday's celebration and mini photoshoot which consist of me being her personal photographer.

I feel a twinge of guilt for covering her artwork on my head, but I wear the wig nonetheless. Hunnie taught me how yesterday. I sigh. Low self-esteem one, confidence zero. I step outside and disappear with the morning crowd.

~~~~~~~~~~

"So yeah, sorry, we watched One Piece without you."

"But you promised!" he makes a weepy face, pulling the corners of his mouth as low as he can get them to go. "I poured my heart out when I told you that I'm the only lone weeb in my group after that group date," he clutches his chest dramatically. "Can't believe you and Hunnie would abandon me like that! Wait, no, not really," he scoffs. "I expected Hunnie to do that, but not you!"

"Woah Woah Woah, calm down, sir." I neatly place bottles of non-alcoholic beers in the cooler from the stock crate, laughing harder when I catch a glimpse of his unamused expression. I grab another glass bottle from the crate. 

I look at the time. It's approaching lunch and there's nothing to do. The store is completely empty and has been since morning and so Moonsik and I checked the stocks of every item and filled the display to the brim out of boredom. 

Moonsik leans on the other door of the cooler with his arms folded across his chest and what seems to be a long-lasting pout across his face. "Now who will I watch it with? No one is going with me and I'll have to wait until it shows up on Crunchyroll or something." The pout stays.

"You can always watch it alone," I wink. "When a weeb watches an anime movie, weeb shan't pay attention to their surrounding but focuses solely on the screen. Are you a fake weeb, Moonsik-ssi?"

"Moonsik-ssi?"

"I'm sorry, I mean Moonmoon-ssi."

"Just, stop." He massages his temples lightly with his index fingers

I grin. "Why are you so persistent in not going alone?"

"Instead of a fake weeb, try a scared and lonely one," he tapes on a sarcastic smile. "And besides, what am I gonna do after that? It's not exactly close to my house and I'll just be roaming around alone, feeling extra lonely."