Ø34. Blue Ribon and Flowers

Natalia would never hear the end of it if she left again without saying goodbye to Merlin. So she waited outside the citadel gates for him. It didn't take long to see the serving boy to the prince with an armful of swords.
       "Merlin!" Natalia shouted through the crowd, "Merlin!" She weaved between people making sure not to knock anyone over.
       "Natalia! How have you been?" Merlin nearly spilled the swords onto the street, but Natalia caught them. She smirked,
       "Saving you." Merling smiled too and then saw her bag,
        "No, you're not. You're leaving again, aren't you?"
        "At least I'm saying goodbye this time?" She shrugged and handed the swords back to Merlin.
        "Yeah," Merlin sighed. "At least your not just leaving me a note, but still," Merlin continued towards the blacksmiths, "I wish you'd stay." Natalia followed him, saying nothing because there was nothing new to say. She couldn't stay in the same kingdom as her mother, and she wanted to see the world. "I know, I know," Merlin rolled his eyes as he set down the swords. They had walked nearly to the edge of the city. "I don't blame you for wanting to leave, but I want you to stay." Natalia paused and looked at her feet. Thinking deeply about what lay beyond the hills to the east.
        "Fine, I'll stay," Natalia nodded. Merlin scoffed,
         "What?"
         "You heard me, I'm staying. Though," Natalia tapped her chin, "I suppose I'll need to get a job." Merlin laughed,
         "A job. Where?" Natalia smacked Merlin's head, "Ow, what was that for?"
         "Shut up," Natalia laughed before looking across the way, "I'll get a job there." She points at the tavern. A sign hanging with painted words spelling out, 'help wanted.' Merlin gasped,
         "No, Natalia, you can't."
        "Yes, Merlin, I can," Natalia walked towards the tavern, mocking Merlin, "Watch me." Merlin scurried behind her as she entered the rather rowdy room. Natalia made her way to the bar,
         "The sign outside, do you have any jobs?" The man behind the bar was a tall buff man with golden eyes and bright white hair tied up with a deep blue ribbon,
         "You worked in an inn before?" He eyed her carefully as Natalia responded,
        "No, but I'm a quick study." The man scoffed,
        "A quick study? Fine, come back here." Natalia turned to Merlin with her eyebrow raised and a smile. Merlin smiled weakly, standing still. "He follows you around?" The innkeeper groaned. Natalia shakes her head,
        "Only sometimes." Merlin rolled his eyes,
        "Good luck. I'll see you later." He left the inn with a furrowed brow. Natalia's giddiness was short-lived when the innkeeper asked if she knew how to pour mead correctly.
After a few hours of spilling drinks and being laughed at by the few men in the bar, Natalia could carry a tray with seven tankards of mead with grace. The innkeeper put his hand on Natalia's shoulder,
        "Do you have somewhere to stay?" Natalia's face seemed confused,
        "I'm staying with a friend." The innkeepers nodded,
        "There's an extra room. You can stay here. I don't pay much, and you'll work long hours," He glanced over Natalia's face to see any hesitation but saw only excitement. "You'll have to get my wife's approval before I hire you," The corner of his lip twitched upwards, "I don't see that being a problem." As if by magic, the back door opened, and a woman walked in with a basket of bread, onions, and flowers. She was beautiful and bouncy. Her curly hair flew into her face as she closed the door with gusto.
       "Rowan, I'm making stew tonight," the woman looked up and saw Natalia, "Who's this?" The innkeeper, Rowan, walked over to his wife, taking the basket from her. The woman took a small flower from the basket and placed it behind her husband's ear. Rowan blushed and looked over to Natalia, who was trying her best not to beam at the couple.
       "She wants to work here." Natalia was about to introduce herself, but before she could, the woman grabbed Natalia's hands,
       "Wonderful! Rowan and I have been trying to find someone for weeks. You look like you can handle your own too. I was beginning to lose hope. When does she start?" Natalia looked to Rowan, who was smiling at his wife, shrugged.
       "I can start whenever," Natalia nodded, "I just have to get my things, and I can start."
       "How about tonight," The woman let go of Natalia's hands, "You help me make the stew we're serving tonight. Our other cook is taking the night off and I could use the help. Then you'll know what happens in the kitchen when you start working out front."
       "Oh, well, I'm a terrible cook," Natalia rubbed the back of her neck with a nervous smile, "Truth be told, I can barely cut vegetables." The woman laughed,
       "I doubt it's that bad." she started to go towards another door, "I'll see you back here in a few hours?"
       "Yes, Ma'am," Natalia felt the tension in her shoulders.
       "Ma'am?" The woman almost sounded offended, "That won't do. Call me Ada, and you are?"
       "I'm Natalia." The women smiled at each other,
       "Well then, Natalia, we'll see you later." Ada went on her way, and Rowan shook his head with a smile, saying nothing. Natalia cleared her throat, Rowan snapped out of his mind.
       "Right, I'll show you where you're room will be." He set the basket on a table and opened another door that led into a hallway. Natalia followed hurriedly,
       "How long have you been married to Ada?" Rowan looked at the younger woman,
       "Five years." Rowan stopped and pointed to a door at the end of the hall, "That'll be your room. You have a private bath." Natalia thanked him, and Rowan grunted, leaving Natalia in the hall. She opened the door, it wasn't a large room, but it had a window facing out towards the fields of Camelot. The sun would rise and come into her room. Natalia smiled and felt ready to start her new life.

 Natalia smiled and felt ready to start her new life