Ø35. I Am a Great Warrior

Natalia had been working for Ada and Rowan for nearly a year and a half. She worked mostly at the bar or bussing tables, never in the kitchen. Ada realized that Natalia wasn't being modest when she had said that she couldn't chop vegetables. Rowan had warmed up to Natalia and invited her to meals at his and Ada's home often.
  The couple taught Natalia to do all the things that commoners learned to do from when they were children, but Natalia had never had to do. She Learned to mend clothes and make a half-decent meal from Ada and Rowan taught her to chop wood and fix thatching on a roof. Only once had Ada asked why she never learned these things. The subject was dropped when Natalia replied, in a rather harsh tone, that she had simply never been taught. Other than that, Rowan and Ada never asked about Natalia's past.
  For months now, Natalia had been closing the pub by herself in the early hours of the morning. She had no issue in getting the stragglers to leave. She had proven that she wasn't to be messed with after a few men tried to make a pass at her, and she nearly broke their arms. The regulars had come to adore her. At least once a night, a local traveler and sometimes a knight would ask for her hand in marriage. She would laugh it off and say that she wasn't the marrying type.
       "Good night George," Natalia opened the door for him to leave, "I better not see you tomorrow."
       "And not see you? Fat chance!" Natalia shook her head and laughed as she closed the door. She breathed in the quiet and spilled alcohol.
   This was her favorite part of the evening when she could be alone. Natalia began to clear the tables and started to hum a song that she had heard long ago. The humming turned into word as she swept the floors. This distracted her from noticing the door open and the hooded men that came in.

       "Conversing with a young lass
       Who seem'd to be in pain.
       Saying, William, when you go
       I fear you'll ne'er return again."

  She saw something out of the corner of her eye and whipped around,
  "Can I help you?" One of the men removed his hood,
     "Never knew you could sing like that, Natalia." It was Arthur and Merlin. The two of them smirking and snickering. Natalia leaned against her broom,
     "Half scared me to death sneaking in like that." The boys let themselves laugh for a moment before Arthur cleared his throat. He looked nervous.
     "Why are you here?" Natalia knew that Arthur wouldn't be here at this hour if he didn't have a good reason.
     "We have a quest, and we..." Arthur paused and looked at the floor. Merlin nudged him. Arthur looked offended but continued. "I need your help."
     "You need my help?" Although it was technically a question, Natalia made it sound like a statement. Arthur nodded, not meeting Natalia's gaze. "What's the quest?"
     "Oh!" Merlin chuckled. Arthur glared at his servant. The two of them were making faces at each other. Natalia rolled her eyes,
     "Will you tow stop and tell me what exactly it is we'd be doing!"
     "I can't say," Arthur looked at Natalia with a severe look.
     "Or he'll have to kill you," Merlin scoffed. Arthur hit Merlin over his head, "Ow!" Natalia smiled but shook her head,
     "I can't go." The boys looked shocked,
     "What? Why not?" Merlin stood up. Natalia shrugged,
     "I've got a job. I can't just up and leave."
     "Talia-" Ada walked in and saw the angry-looking prince. She bowed her head, "Your highness, such an honor to have you here."
     "There's no need for that," Arthur waved, a bit embarrassed by how formal Ada was being. He looked between the two women, and it was plain to see that an idea was forming in his head. "I hate to do this, but I need Princess Natalia to come with me for a few days."
     "Not a princess anymore," Natalia grumbled. Ada looked gobsmacked,
     "Princess?" She turned to Natalia, "You're a princess?" Natalia shook her head, looking from Arthur to Ada, trying to remedy the situation. She failed and couldn't come up with a good excuse for why Arthur had called her a princess. Natalia gave up and looked at Ada, feeling guilty.
     "I was the princess of Prauth, but have since been stripped of that title." Natalia knew that she should have told Ada and Rowan about who she had been. Ada laughed loudly, breaking Natalia from a spiral of worry and guilt.
      "No wonder you were so terrible at cooking to start! You didn't stand a chance!" Ada kept laughing until Rowan came in, tired and amused.
     "What are you laughing about?" Ada looked to her husband and calmed down,
     "Natalia's a princess." Ada continued to chuckle. Rowan nodded,
     "One of the knights told me ages ago."
     "And you didn't tell me?" Ada smacked her husband's arm. Rowan smiled at her,
     "Didn't seem like something that really mattered." He looked at Natalia and tipped his head towards her, "She does her job and is nice enough. No need to bring up something that she didn't want us to know." Natalia furrowed her brow; she wasn't sure about what to say other than,
     "Thank you." The words spilled out of her mouth, and Ada hugged Natalia.
     "It's no bother," Ada joked. Then she turned to Arthur, her arm still around Natalia, "What is it you need Talia for?" Rowan stiffened his posture. Arthur cleared his throat,
     "I cannot say, but I doubt we'll be gone for more than two weeks." Rowan stepped closer to Natalia and Ada, eyeing Arthur suspiciously,
     "Why do you need her?" Arthur puffed out his chest as Rowan towered over him as well,
     "Natalia is a great warrior, and I need someone to watch my back."
     "What about-" Merlin began, but Rowan interrupted him,
     "So, it'll be dangerous?"
     "Yes," Arthur was solemn in his response. Rowan looked at Natalia,
     "Do you want to go?" Arthur opened his mouth to say that she really didn't have a choice, but Rowan just stared at him until he closed his mouth again.
     "What he says is true," Natalia smiled at Rowan, "I'm a great warrior." Rowan let his shoulder relax, and Ada held onto his arm for extra comfort.
     "We'll manage without you for a few weeks," Ada smiled.
     It was settled, and Natalia quickly collected her things. As she was packing her last items, there was a knock at the door.
     "Come in," Natalia tightened the straps on her bag and turned to see Merlin, looking so pleased and a little sad,
     "You sure you want to come with?"
     "Yeah," Natalia slung her bag over her shoulder, "You'd both die without me." The pair laughed, and Natalia took one last look around the room.
     "Ready?" Merlin took Natalia's hand gently. Natalia nodded and went back into the pub, where Arthur looked as though he might die of fright if Rowan stared at him for another second.
     "Right!" Arthur said a little too loudly, "Best be off." Natalia hugged Ada tightly as she demanded that she comes back in one piece.
     "You may be a princess, but I am your boss. You hear me?" Natalia giggled at the woman's words. She turned her gaze to Rowan, who stood with a small parcel in his hands. He forcefully handed them to Natalia,
     "Some food." Natalia held them with care as the smell of cinnamon and sugar wafted to her nose. She hugged Rowan as well. At first, he didn't move, but slowly he put an arm around Natalia's shoulders. "Be safe," Rowan whispered. Natalia let go of him and nodded,
     "You too." With that, Natalia, Merlin, and Arthur rode off and left Camelot just before the town started to wake.

" With that, Natalia, Merlin, and Arthur rode off and left Camelot just before the town started to wake