Ø29. A Moment

Nearly a year later, Merlin walked into a tavern, ready to give up looking for Gwaine. It had been over five months since he'd heard from Gwaine or Natalia. In Natalia's letter, she said she was planning to head south to Lobel. Merlin hoped that she had changed her mind and stayed nearby. Merlin was knocked from his thoughts as a man was tossed across the bar, he lifted his head to show a grin Merlin could not soon forget.
"Hello, Gwaine."
     "Ah!" Gwaine pushed himself towards his friend, "Merlin, how are you?" before he can respond a gruff man interrupted the reunion,
"Give me my money." The two boys run out of the tavern, apologizing to everyone they bump into, knocking over goods from the many stalls trying to avoid capture. They hide behind a table, peaking to see where the man chasing them is.
"Remind me again what you're doing here?" Gwaine asks breathlessly. Merlin responds in kind,
"Arthur's in trouble, I need your help." They look again for the man chasing them. Gwaine asks what kind of trouble their friend is in. before Merlin answers, they're quickly spotted and start to run again, "He's gone to the Perilous Lands." They make their way up a flight of stairs.
"Just now," Gwaine looks back at the rather large group of men, "That sounds pretty attractive." He looks for an exit, and both become worried that this may be the end of the adventure before it begins. Someone in a dark cloak rides up with two horses in tow,
"Jump!" The familiar voice shouted. Merlin panics,
"You've got to be joking." Gwaine gives him a sympathetic shrug before pushing Merlin on to a pile of hay. Gwaine follows quickly. They climb onto the horses and ride off as quickly as they can; following the hooded figure. Once they have made their way just outside of town, they slow their pace. Merlin thanks the stranger,
"I'm afraid to think what might've happened if you hadn't saved us." The figure laughs, removing their hood,
"You do seem to be afraid of most things, Merlin." Both the men smiled.
"Natalia," Merlin thanked the gods that she was safe, "what are you doing in Mercia?" The disgraced Princess smiled,
     "Saving your backside apparently. What are you doing here?" Merlin explained that Arthur was in trouble. Natalia scoffed saying that Arthur always seemed to be in grave danger. "Who's trying to kill him now?" Merlin paused, not knowing what to say or do. Natalia nodded, understanding that he might not want to tell her. She turned her attention to Gwaine, "What are you doing in Mercia?"
"Ales cheap here and gambling is easy." All three of them laughed, happy to be back in each other's company. Natalia cleared her throat,
"Well, if we want to save Arthur, we best hurry." She kicked her horse and took off in a gallop. The two boys followed in suit, ready for the adventure.
      After a few hours of riding, they came to a ridge that overlooked the landscape before them. A forest that turned suddenly into desert and wasteland.
"That is it," Gwaine motioned to the horizon, "On the other side of the forest lies the Perilous Lands." Natalia looked at him,
"Doesn't look too friendly." Gwaine smiled,
"That's because it's not. Believe me, it's wretched." Merlin wrinkled his nose,
"How do you know, you've never been."
"I've traveled to many places, Merlin."
"Not the Perilous Lands, I know that." Gwaine gave his friend a confused look,
"Why's that?" Merlin glanced at Natalia, then to Gwaine,
"There aren't any taverns." Natalia chuckled along with Gwaine,
"That does sound wretched." They made their way down to the edge of the forest, Merlin quickly ran off after tying his horse to a tree. Natalia and Gwaine grabbed some supplies, not knowing how long they would be gone. Gwaine glazed over at Natalia, who had removed her cloak, she was wearing trousers and a loose-fitting shirt. One of the sleeves was rolled up, revealing a rather large wound. It had healed but still looked like a fairly fresh scar.
"Where have you been?" Gwaine asked as he slung his pack over his shoulder. Natalia smiled,
"I was in Ealdor and," she paused, debating whether or not, to tell the truth, "I spent some time in the forest thinking."
"Isn't Merlin from Ealdor?" Gwaine started to walk towards where Merlin had disappeared to. Natalia nodded before she drew her sword. Gwaine did the same. As they came over a small hill, they saw Merlin talking to a small man. Natalia could tell that he meant no harm.
"Ah," the man exclaimed as he saw the pair, "Strength and Perseverance have arrived, the group is complete." Gwaine pointed his sword at him, but before he could do anything more, his sword turned into some white lilies. "I mean no harm to any of you, and I'd thank you to mean no harm in return."
"Where's my sword?" Gwaine grumbled.
"It will be returned to you once you cross the bridge." With that Gwaine started across the bridge. Natalia sheathed her sword,
"Thank you for letting us cross." The man grabbed her hand.
"You've been through so much, and yet," he looked sympathetically at her, "it's barely begun." Natalia turned to Merlin, both of them confused but when she looked back, the man was gone.
"What are you two doing?" Gwaine yelled from the other side of the bridge. Natalia shook her head and made her way over to the Perilous Lands.
"Later that night the three friends sat around a small fire, listening to the strange sounds surrounding them. Merlin hadn't asked where Natalia had been for the past few months. He wanted to but knew that she would tell him in time. There was a loud screech in the distance. All of them tensed at once.
"What was that?" Merlin asked. Gwaine gripped his sword,
"Pheasant." The screech became closer, Natalia scoffed,
"A Pheasant?"
"A very big one," Gwaine looked around to see if he could see the 'pheasant.' Merlin admired his friends for a moment,
"You can turn back if you want." Natalia smirked,
"I'm not scared of pheasants." Gwaine nodded in agreement.
"I don't know," Merlin shifted slightly, "Why are you two doing this?" Without missing a beat Gwaine spoke,
"Same reason as you, to help a friend." Merlin smiled,
"Arthur's lucky to have us."
"Not Arthur." Natalia looked at Gwaine. His hair pushed out of his face, firelight cast upon his face, an air of adventure surrounding him; Natalia thought for a moment how handsome he was. Only for a moment though.
"Natalia?" Merlin's voice drew her back.
"What?" She looked at him. Merlin tilted his head, amused,
"Why are you doing this?" Natalia leaned back on her elbows, looking at the sky as if the stars held the answers.
"You're my friend, I'd go to the ends of the earth for you," Natalia glanced at Merlin, he nodded with a small smile.
"I'd do the same for you," Merlin fiddled with his fingers, very conscious that Gwaine was there. Natalia chuckled,
"I'd hope so, you're one of the only friends I've got left." The two boys laughed as well. A sudden uproar of 'pheasants' interprets the moment.
"Sounds like three pheasants," Merlin sat up a bit more, looking into the darkness.
"At least," Gwaine searched as well, then looked at Natalia. She was still looking at the sky. Gwaine thought for a moment that this was the posture of someone who wasn't afraid to die. Only for a moment though.
"I'll keep watch," Natalia sits up, "You two get some rest." Merlin thanked her softly as he lay down, watching the flames. Gwaine tried to argue. Natalia placed her hand on his shoulder, looking into his eyes,
"You've had a long day, don't fight me, just sleep." Gwaine knew it was no use for both of them to be tired tomorrow. He shook his head and lay down; drifting into a dream he wished he could remember.

 He shook his head and lay down; drifting into a dream he wished he could remember