𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞

The sky itself seemed to be celebrating Pogtopia's victory. When the group emerged from the Camarvan, the dreary clouds had vanished, disclosing a vibrant blue sky and twinkling sunshine. Though the grass was still sodden and dewy from the previous chilly drizzle, the atmosphere still seemed exceptionally lighter.

Cheering in victory, those of Pogtopia swarmed towards the podium chanting Wilbur's name and encouraging him to take his rightful place on the podium.

Wilbur, however, turned to Tommy, a warm and doting smile curling his lips.

"Look at me, Tommy," Wilbur started. He placed his hands on Tommy's shoulders and gave them a gentle squeeze. "I know you never thought you'd hear me say this but, Tommy, take your place on the podium and give us a speech."

Tommy choked on nothing but his own shock.

"Or should I say, president-elect, Tommy," Wilbur grinned. "Go, go."

Despite the fact that she knew Tommy's glory would be short lived, as she still planned to blow L'Manberg to smithereens, Reverie joined in as everyone roared and clapped for Tommy, who could not conceal his grin.

While everyone took their seats in the stands, eagerly awaiting Tommy's speech of inauguration and victory, Reverie drifted to the back where Dream, Sapnap and Punz stood. As Reverie approached, Dream tilted his mask so that half of his face was visible. The scar on his lip quivered ominously and he gulped thickly.

"Should you not be up there with Wilbur and Tubbo," Dream said, nodding to the front row of the stands were Wilbur and Tubbo sat, whooping as Tommy tapped the microphone to begin his speech.

"I'm not finished here yet," Reverie mumbled dauntingly. His eyes flashing with a glimmer of fear, Dream shifted uneasily on his feet. The gaze that he held in Reverie veered from cold to perturbed.

"What do you mean, Reverie?" he asked slowly, as though he feared the answer he was to receive. Reverie merely stared at him as a subtle smirk played at her lips.

Keeping her voice low so that Sapnap and Punz could not here her, Reverie said, "They'll paint me as the villain for doing what's right, but one day they'll see. One day they'll understand that it was never meant to be."

Dream's brown furrowed as an anxious expression settled on the visible half of his face. Glancing over his shoulder to ensure that Sapnap and Punz were not eavesdropping, he ducked his head down so that he was closer to Reverie and asked, "Rev, what are you talking about?"

"I'm going to burn it all," Reverie declared. "And then I'll stand in the ashes of who I used to be, and I'll relish in the dawn of a new day. But you and Wilbur are the only ones who'll understand. You are the only ones who understand that you get painted as the villain for doing the right thing."

She walked away from Dream then, hoping that it would be the last time she would ever have to do so, because though she managed to mask her pain quite well, every time she saw Dream, Reverie's heart ached, and every time she turned and walked away from him, she felt herself break a little bit more.

Reverie knew where the room with the button was. Wilbur had told her about it. As she crept around the outskirts of L'Manberg, trying to stay hidden from view, she listened to Tommy's speech.

"Hello everyone. It looks like we won."

Once again, the people cheered ecstatically.

"And I never thought I'd say this, but even after the hardships, the tyranny we've been through—Wilbur, Tubbo, after everything, it was meant to be."

"Thank you, thank you everyone for making me the president. And I know you said I never would be—Wilbur, I can't be the president."

A swarm of shouts of protest arose from the stands. Reverie could see the hillside now—the opening that gave her a clear pathway to the button. L'Manberg's downfall was swiftly approaching.