𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰

Reverie and Technoblade watched from the outskirts of the forest, shielded by the curtains of hanging branches, as Dream led Tommy away from his beloved nation.

Under the commission of President Tubbo, L'Manberg had begun repartitions. The extensive crater had been pumped with water, creating a lake over which the new and improved nation would be built, supported by hefty wooden stilts.

"Exiled by his best friend," Reverie muttered, her voice void of all emotion.

"L'Manberg strikes again," Techno said. He flicked his cloak and turned away, retreating back into the hooded forest. Reverie remained where she stood a few moments more, staring longingly across the vast distance at the silhouette that was her younger brother.

Reverie was proud of Tubbo, truly. He had come so far, establishing himself as so much more than just Tommy's sidekick; and as she gazed upon her brother, situated tens upon tens of feet across rolling fields, Reverie's chest swelled with pride, but she could not ignore the chilling sense of foreboding that was trickling down her spine. Tubbo had only been in power for a few short weeks now and he had already chosen said power and his reputation over his best friend.

Tommy, who had lay down his life for his nation's freedom. Tommy, who alongside Wilbur had led Pogtopia to victory against Schlatt's tyrannical rule. Tommy, he who was the only other person who could ever truly share Wilbur's undying love for his country, had been exiled from L'Manberg by his best friend.

Knowing that she could not linger for long, else risk someone from L'Manberg or the kingdom spotting her, Reverie turned her back on Tubbo's great nation and followed Techno into the dense trees.

"Do you think we should help him?" Reverie asked, skipping slightly to keep up with the pace of Techno's broad stride. "Tommy, I mean."

Techno grunted in distaste. "If it takes being exiled for him to learn that L'Manberg is the source of his problems, then so be it."

Sighing deeply, Reverie raised her hand to fondle with the loose ends of her sloppy braid. The tips of her fingers brushed against the piece of green cloth that held her hair together.

"He's your brother, Techno," Reverie reminded him gingerly. "Your little brother."

"Maybe now he'll understand how it feels to have the person you care about most in the world choose a cursed country over you," Techno spat bitterly, and Reverie was shocked to hear raw emotion dripping from his usually monotonous voice.

Techno scratched the back of his neck. "I'm sorry," he sighed. "I shouldn't take my anger out on you."

Reverie blinked very slowly at the man who walked a few paces before her. Her ears must have been deceiving her, because from what she could hear, Technoblade had just apologised, which was something Reverie had never known him to do before.

"That's—that's okay, Techno," Reverie said softly.

"I just—I wish we'd had more time—Tommy, Wilbur and me," Technoblade was rambling, and Reverie allowed him to vent, listening attentively, for Techno was not one to reveal his feelings and Rev knew that it would do him good to open up to someone. "There's so much I didn't get to say, so much I still want to tell them."

"Like what?" Reverie asked, her voice a quiet hum, encouraging him to further express his feelings.

Technoblade hesitated, and so did nature. For the briefest of moments, the gentle rustling sound subsided as the trees stilled, and the pleasant trickle of a nearby river was silenced. Beams of sunlight shone through small gaps in the canopy of leaves, peppering the forest floor in golden specks. Despite the swirling tension that Technoblade's vacillation had created, Reverie felt at peace in the tranquil woods and she felt the knots in her shoulders alleviate.