Chapter 10:

The place was indeed incredibly modern and futuristic. The people are guarded safely, minor attacks are immediately handled, and they're all living in the comfort of their homes

— except for one group of parents. All are extremely worried about their children, regretting the trip they made. They lied. They always do. It's nothing new, actually.

Yearly vacations, yearly meet ups. Maybe it was the only way of truly escaping. There isn't such thing as escape. The imagination of running away shouldn't be only made physically. They're all fucked up in their heads, that's what they should escape from.

Lia sat unwelcomed to the warm surface of the concrete bench placed outside a building, the place they're staying in. She looked to her side, observing the other's features.

She tried her best to hide her smile, but her mouth still tugged upwards into a gentle smile. Though her palms were sweaty and her body was screaming anxiety, she managed to lovingly carress that person's face.

"I'm worried too, but i know that they'll make it. It's destined that way." Taking her hand back, she inhaled sharply. "I trust my daughter, I wish you would too."

"Lia, I do trust her. It's just that, we don't know." Haneul sighed, looking up at the cloudy sky.

The older girl seem to freeze for a second before gulping down harshly. "I know, Haneul." she whispered before getting up and walking away, into the building.

Haneul heard her, but decided to keep her mouth shut. It's not like Lia gave her time to question her either. Lowering her gaze, she reminisced the past. All the hardwork they've done, all the wounds they had to get, all the people they have to lose, all the pain they have to feel, she doesn't want to let her kids experience that, no.

Lia has been playing as her mother almost her whole life, along with Yeonmi. She wanted to believe her, she really did. Her love for Hwayoung and Hayoon is so intense and big. She can't handle losing them, nor let them lose her.

She saw a figure sit beside her again, inhaling the familiar scent, she immediately relaxed. Her hand made it's way to the person, slowly interwining their fingers.

"Our kids," she started, glancing to the side. "they'll be okay." she stated mostly for herself.

"They'll be okay," Seonghwa repeated, giving the most assurance he can to his wife. Looking at her, he smiled slightly. "Trust Astrid, trust them."

Lia bit her bottom lip, listening to the conversation. She felt frustrated that she can't tell them what she knew, it pains her. She continued walking to her unit. "How can I be so cruel," she whispered, wiping the tears that formed to her eyes.

The weight on her shoulder brought her down, and it can't be helped. She made her choice and there are consequences for everything, knowing whether it be bad, or good.

Sometimes, love drives into blindness and turns you insane. It penetrates through your veins, to your flesh, to your soul. It corrupts you and you won't even know it. But in this case, she knew and yet she chose to ignore the darkness engulfing her.

She knows, she does. Too much, for a fact. Lia knows too much, and that's the truth. That should be a good thing, but it's not. It puts her in danger. One slip up, and she'll be gone. That's also one thing, if she doesn't say anything, guilt will eat her up. And if she does say something, it's not right. It's unfortunate.

She made it to her bed, slipping off her slippers, she gently plopped on the soft mattress.

"I'm not supposed to be doing this," she sighed. Her husband furrowed his eyebrows and turned to her. "There's no going back, Lia. We both know that." he stated.

"Yeah, but we're riski-"

"No, this is the right thing to do." he harshly got up and went to the bathroom, shutting the door close.

There goes the daily arguement. Lia rolled her eyes.

Before she could think of anything else, a knock was heard from the door. She unwillingly got up and strided to the entrance, the view showing Hongjoong.

He smiled and mentioned, "Dinner together at 9:00." before walking away. Lia followed his figure with her eyes. Some things never really changes.

They're all in their 30's now, but nothing really differs in the topic of their personalities, except for being much more mature than before. Only Haneul, Seonghwa and few had kids, some of the guys got together and some are still.. waiting?

Lia went back in and glanced at the clock, '8:28' was shown. She walked to the bed once again and let her thoughts invade her mind.

Her child, Astrid was left alone in Los Angeles, by herself, and she expects her to survive while protecting the kids, in the apocalypse. She must be crazy, how can she think that? How is she even so calm? She must be panicking right now, how bad of a parent is she? She lied to her, to everyone around her. How can she be not guilty? How can she relaxed at the thought of her daughter out there, fighting for her life? How can she be so numb..?

Lia pulled her hair in frustration. She must be crazy. She is indeed bad and cruel.

The voice in her mind screamed at her. It shouted words that are so painful, it made scars in her heart. It was all degrading words, and as foolish as the voice said Lia was, she believed it. She believed that she was terrible, that she wasn't enough for her beloved child, that she can't handle her life.

Who wouldn't cry when someone says that to you? Lia wouldn't.

She just sat, numb and emotionless. She was used to it, her brain is — but her heart isn't. She was crying, but it was inside.

She deserved to suffer, she deserved to be told those things, she deserved to be beaten up, she deserved to be hurt, she deserved to be here, she deserves to smile, she deserves to laugh, she deserves love, she deserves to live, does she?

And just like that, the angel was overpowered by the devil once again.