Chapter 22:

"What's not bad?"

Chenle jumped and removed himself from the tree he was leaning on. Turning to the side, he saw Jisung avoiding his eyes. He cleared his throat and clicked his tongue. "Astrid," he answered. "She's not that bad as I thought."

"She literally let us in her house. You still thought she was bad?" Jisung laughed sarcastically. He raised his brows to Chenle, finally looking at him.

"Remember, Park, it wasn't her home. It's Hwayoung's." The other stared back intensely. Chenle has his pride high, he doesn't want to back down. "Plus, she was quite moody back then." he smiled mockingly.

"Are we really going to continue being like this? You know, you could just say sorry." The taller of the two sighed and sat on the soil. He collected his legs and wrapped his arms around it, resting his chin on his knees.

Chenle eyed Jisung, he contemplated whether to sit beside him or just walk away and find another place. He bit the inside of his cheeks before slowly sitting beside the boy. "I still don't understand why you wanted us to bring them along."

"Chenle! Of course we should bring them along! They let us sleep, eat, rest at the place they were staying at, it's just a little contribute."

"The place weren't theirs, though.."

"You said it yourself that it was Hwayoung's."

"Fine!"

"Fine what?" Jisung smiled. He looked at his friend who looks like he wants to poop at the moment, why is he having such a hard time saying sorry?

"Why are you so comfortable around her anyways? You like her or something?" Chenle turned away from Jisung.

The question made him laugh. Was his bestfriend jealous? Is he upset because of that? "Why are you mad at that? Can't I be comfortable with someone else?"

"No, it's just- I'm scared that she'll steal you from me since you obviously are interested in Astrid." Chenle sulked. He didn't realize how childish and immature he was being, but he didn't want to lose his bestfriend.

"She's not gonna do that! Do you hear yourself? Do you want me to record you? Just say sorry, man!"

"I'm sorry."

"There you go. Fucking coward."

"Language!"

"Oops, sorry."

Donghyuck nudged the girl beside him. "They made up." he reported. He saw how Astrid stirred. He nudged her one more time. "They freaking made up."

"Oh my god, I know! They're being so obnoxiously loud, how could I not hear?" she mumbled, resting her head to his shoulders.

"They were talking about you," he teased, poking her sides with his pointers. He laughed once he saw the flushed face she was hiding. "Oh my god, do you like him? You're cute." he continued poking her.

"No I don't! It's only been so short since we met." she tried to get a hold of Donghyuck's hands but he was quick to change his directions. "Stop! S-stop, Hyuck." she whined silently, laughing at the same time.

"Okay okay. Let's get some rest."

Hwayoung stared at the two as they finally relaxed, Astrid's head still on Donghyuck's shoulders. They've really gotten close. She looked at Rina, eyes full of hope. Though she didn't say anything, the older just nodded and pushed her gently off her lap.

"Astrid!" The little girl skipped to the supposed person, hopping on her lap. "Oof!" she exclaimed, the landing more rough than she anticipated.

"Oh well, hello there. I missed you, Hwa." Astrid immediately embraced her, fingers going behind the girl's ear, removing strands of brown hair blocking her face. "Gosh, your hair is becoming an inconvenience.

The little girl leaned onto the warmth she was emitting. "That doesn't matter right now, doesn't it?" she sighed in content. Hwayoung buried her face on Astrids neck, legs apart on her lap.

Astrid halted, she took in Hwayoung's words. It doesn't matter now, that's right. Recollecting herself, she hummed pretending to ignore the words of truth. She took a pink elastic tie out of her pocket, she had remembered that she stole one from Hwayoung's drawers thinking it was cute, she looped it around the little girl's hair, tying it quite tightly.

"Astrid," she innocently called out, recalling something from the past. "I miss Gray, but I know she won't come back. She's not a zombie right?" she turned around to face the older.

Astrid sighed deeply and avoided Hwayoung's eyes, her hands raising to touch her collarbones- a habit she picked growing up- nervously. "Yeah."

"Astrid?"

"Hm?" she touched Hwayoung's hair, not really fixing it.

Donghyuck listened to the conversation, noticing how the mention of Gray affected her so much. Her eyes held so much pain when the name left Hwayoung's mouth. The amount of love Astrid must've felt for Gray, it must me more than anyone could ever receive, except for Rina.

"It's my birthday next week." Hwayoung's voice lowered, as if disappointed. "Do you remember?" she said this to Astrid before.

"Of course," Astrid lied. "Of course, I remember." she smiled softly. She didn't know how much time has passed. "It's on friday, right? Next week is friday. Have you been counting?" she asked, voice so quiet, barely even heard.

Donghyuck broke. He can't imagine Hwayoung celebrating her 6th birthday like this. Her youth is destroyed but what was more heartbreaking is that she pretended to not be broken, she pretended that she isn't affected, she didn't want the others to worry about her.

"Yes, I have been counting! I know how to count until 100, you know?"

"That's so cool!" Donghyuck chimed in. He smiled widely, completely hiding his pity for the kid.

Hwayoung laughed at him. "I know! And I'm turning six tomorrow! I'm a big girl now." she smiled showing her teeth. "I can protect myself.." she added, whispering the last part.

Though the two heard her, they just shook it off and conversed with the girl. "What's your wish, you know, for your birthday?" Donghyuck asked excitedly, secretly hoping that they'll be able to do it, just for Hwayoung.

"Just for me to be with you, all of you. I've made so many knew friends! I wouldn't want us to be apart." Hwayoung grinned, leaning onto Astrid again this time, facing Donghyuck.

Astrid trailed her eyes to Donghyuck. "Okay, I'm sure we'll get to your parents soon enough." she motioned the little girl to sleep.

Donghyuck bit his lower lip, not really sure what to feel. His hands are tight, gripping his own jeans, which by the way is now covered with dirt, and his whole body was almost tense.

"Yeah, you'll get to see your parents, I promise."