Chapter 21:

The moon was directly shining at the top of their heads, guiding their way out of the forest while walking in a path, a long, almost stream-like narrow path that grounded soil and mud. Though they kept quiet, some of them couldn't help but bicker.

"Are you seriously still mad at me? That was my way of coping! Geez, you know you look beautiful and I was just kidding!" Donghyuck brought his eyebrows together and pouted. He never meant to make Astrid this upset. He tapped her shoulder in an attempt to make her look at him.

Astrid sighed, she couldn't miss the compliment he had just given her, not at all. It made her a little flustered but she just hoped that the darkness helped her hide it. "I'm not mad at you, Hyuck! I literally said that fifteen times already. What is wrong with you?" she looked at him, he was still upset.

He breathed out dramatically, "That sounded so sarcastic. Please! Forgive me already!" he begged, even the others don't know if he was acting because Astrid indeed just forgave him and told him that she was not mad at him anymore.

Renjun, who was behind the two, rolled his eyes, his specialty, and hushed Donghyuck. "Bro, she literally is being genuine. She is not mad at you anymore. She forgave you." he flicked his bestfriend's forehead, a little too hard for what he intended but he honestly couldn't care less.

Astrid looked at him, eyes saying the most relieved thank you ever. He didn't acknowledge it. To be honest, he was just too tired to hear more of Hyuck's dialogues. He was crying out loud for the past two hours! How can anyone not be tired of that?

Donghyuck finally shut up, rubbing his sore forehead.

They're all paired by twos since Mark didn't want them to 'get lost' or 'split up'. It was all decided by rock paper scissors. Mark ended up with Rina, he's holding Hayoon and Rina is holding Hwayoung.

Jeno and Jaemin lined up at the second 'row' of the line. They're mostly carrying the things for everyone like food, water, etc. Jeno kept quiet the whole walk but Jaemin occasionally whispers random facts about trees, plants, water, even frogs. Jeno doesn't seem annoyed though, he liked listening to people.

Donghyuck and Astrid are in the middle. Unfortunately, they were paired together, it was fair anyways. The boy has been bothering Astrid for a while now but thankfully, Renjun helped. They've definitely gotten closer since he allowed her to call him 'Hyuck' now.

Renjun and Jisung went second to the last. Both of them were just tired and exhausted. They didn't talk at all unless someone asked them something. They never really understood why they should waste their energy just to make noise out of their throats.

The last person thought the same. Chenle Zhong. He volunteered to be alone. Originally, he wanted to be with Jisung so he can apologize and make up with him but he was embarrassed. Never in his life, never ever, he was angry because of helping people. He usually loved helping but somehow seeing Jisung that comfortable on the first day they've met the three girls, he didn't know what came onto him but it irked something in Chenle.

"I've noticed something off with Jisung and the boy at the back. Did they fight?" Rina conversed with her new acquaintance, Mark. She held Hwayoung's hand tightly, afraid to let the kid go.

Mark was a bit surprised by the sudden question, he, himself, didn't know what they fought about but he does know that they indeed fought. "Oh, uh, yeah! They've always been best friends, don't worry about it, they'll make up soon." he bit the insides of his mouth, a little awkward.

Rina looked at him, eyeing how he's carrying Hayoon. "You're not that good with kids, huh?" she teased.

He immediately felt embarrassed somehow. "What, am I holding the baby wrong?" he fixed his arm, adjusting it slightly.

"No, no. You're just..awkward." The girl laughed quietly, shaking her head at the interaction.

There was this one thing Mark had always wondered about. As far as he remembers, Chenle didn't want the girls to come with them and so they ended up not telling the plan. If that memory was correct, how did they get at the treehouse?

"Hey, if you don't mind me asking, how did you find the cabin?" he eyed her side profile. It wasn't really clear on how they got there and he wanted to know. Did they follow them? Was it just pure coincidence?

Rina hopped on a rock, almost tripping. She sighed and recalled, "Dongfuck- oh sorry, Donghyuck told us. He didn't want to- and I quote—" she folded her fingers mid air "— leave us behind. I didn't know what his motives are and your, and the guys', plan. Turns out we're going to SK as well." she hummed, gripping Hwayoung's tiny hand.

Mark nodded, listening to what she has to say. "I would scold him right now, but the dude made the right decision." he laughed to himself. He sighed and looked around the dark forest. It's crazy how the world can change so fast. They were just having a sleepover but then it suddenly turned into a zombie apocalypse.

"What day is it?" he wondered, continuing to glance around.

Rina shrugged, "I honestly have no clue. How many days have passed since the first day of the apocalypse? I don't know either. I've honestly lost all sense of time." she unintentionally ranted, nibbling on her lower lip.

"Has it been a week? Time goes by so slow yet so fast." Mark smiled, it was empty. "I'm just happy to know that if I die, I'll be with my best buddies, eh?" he nudged Rina. "Not that I want to die but, like, you know what I mean?"

The girl chuckled. "Yes, yeah, I know. I'm glad that I met you guys." she cringed at how cheesy she sounded but that statement was nothing but the truth.

"Ew, too cheesy." Mark laughed. "Yo, but me too, honestly."

The atmosphere was filled with comfortable silence, footsteps on the dirt, unintentional moving of branches, occasional whispers and chats here and there. This was the most peace they've gotten since.

"As the eldest, I always felt that I need to, how do I say this? Be responsible, I guess? It's not that the others are not- It's just that.. I'm worried." Mark felt really comfortable around Rina. Maybe it's because they both share the same thoughts and they both have similar auras. He just felt really light when with her.

Rina nodded. She admitted that she feels the same. "It's like all the others are relying on you and you need to be there for them." she glanced at Hwayoung.

Momentarily pausing, she wiped off the girl's sweat. "Are you tired, Hwa? I can carry you if you want to slee-"

"No, Rina. I can do it, I'm a big girl. Plus I'm heavy." she giggled, tugging on Rina's arm, wanting her to continue walking. "I was listening to you talking."

Mark looked back at the rest. "We're almost at the highway, we can take a break if you want. It won't be any easier with the zombies." he slumped on a tree, carefully swaying Hayoon.

"Oh god, my legs are numb." Rina followed his suit, pulling Hwayoung on her lap. "Take a nap. I'll be here." she whispered to the kid.

"Why are you guys resting?" Jeno asked, but he also sat on the ground.

The others didn't say anything but they just collapsed on either a tree or the ground. They were all sweaty and dirty, not that they minded though. In this circumstance, no one is able to clean themselves.

Donghyuck, dramatic as always, released the most weirdest, inhumane, noise of some sort. "Finally! Just leave me here. Go... go! Don't look back." he cried, earning a lot of annoyed stares. "Oops, that was my line for a play before and I just remembered so.."

Astrid rolled her eyes and smacked his head. "Shut up, we're trying to rest." she folded her arms and rolled her sore shoulders. She cracked her neck and sighed once she finished.

"Please, you shut up." Donghyuck tsked, turning away from his supposed partner.

Chenle just watched with amusement. He never saw anyone match Donghyuck's energy so well. He always thought that Astrid was quiet and reserved but turns out, she's just adaptable.

"Not bad."