Chapter 30

Nikki's POV

I finally woke a day later. Rachael and Tony were by my side and Jake wasn't. I remembered the things I heard but I let Tony explain them again in detail just to make sure I wasn't dreaming and didn't hear things I thought I only wanted to hear. But Jake and I were the same. We both had awful things happen to us and we both blamed ourselves for the lost lives.

The next few days were busy with the nurses doing loads of tests on me. The police officers came in with pictures of suspects lined up and it was easy for me to pinpoint my attacker from that night at Grohls. The therapist came in to visit and speak to me and I felt like a broken toy again having to share with her my history. I allowed Rachael and Tony to stay since they had gotten word of my past from Jake. It was a pitiful moment and I hated it. The doctors suggested I take it easy the next few weeks as my broken ribs were still inflicting pain but every part of my body felt broken, mostly my heart. I felt like the monster now, seeing Jake the way I did. He knew I would think horrible of him just like he said. And it pained me even more knowing I know how he feels. That my Nanna looks at me like she also blames me for Mamma's death.

I was released from the hospital when I refused to talk anymore to the therapist about my past and my issues. I returned to school just in time for the last week of classes. I had to endure over and over again the pitiful, "Oh my god! I'm so sorry! You're so lucky to be alive!" remarks from all my teachers along with a pile of missed assignments to complete in order to pass their classes. I stepped into Jake's classroom unsure of what to expect after all this but I at least had to pour my heart out and apologize to him.
But when I stepped in, I saw the same replacement Professor as before and the entire class's eyes were glued on me.
"Your lover boy isn't here!" I heard from Kyle's smirking mouth and my face flooded to the shade of red. Red from embarrassment that it looked like everyone knew about Jake and I and red from rage as to whatever the hell Kyle did or said for Jake to not be here.
"Miss Dawson, I've been told you're no longer on the roster for this class. You are to report to your advisor to have a word with her along with Mr. Thomas, the department head." The teacher said.
"Yea, and your advisor isn't the teacher you fucked and had breakfast with the morning after either!" Kyle announced and I heard the gasps and whispers from other students in the class.
"Kiss my grits, Kyle! I have nothin' more to say to you!" I turned around to leave but Kyle spoke again.
"Is that what you do to get yourself to graduate, Nicole?"
"Oh, you should fuckin' talk!" I said with a huff of my breath and turning around to face him and the rest of the class again.
"You're slummin' off daddy's money instead of workin' hard like the rest of us! You'll never amount anythin' but a damn paint by number piece of shit!"
"You all heard it here first!" He announced. "Nicole whore's herself out to everyone who has a dick?"
I had enough of Kyle's tongue lashing in front of the entire class. I marched over to him and gave him a good slap in the face. Holding my chest, I let out a yelping cry of pain from my ribs but I fought through it and held my posture straight, looking him dead in the eyes.
"If I were a whore Kyle, it would be your dick inside me and not Jake's."
"That is quite enough Miss Dawson! Leave this classroom immediately!" I was shunned out by the teacher but I didn't budge from standing my ground.
"And I reckon you have an ugly, STD riddled, pinky-sized pecker that even a hot dog seekin' hound dog couldn't find!"
My flaming gaze towards Kyle broke when Ethan burst out laughing to the point he fell off his chair.
"Now, would you like me to keep highlightin' more of your sexual inadequacies?"
"No," He mumbled like a quivering dog with its tail between its legs.
"That's what I thought! Jake is more of a man than you will ever be. And I never wanna hear Jake's name come from that ugly mouth of yours again, ya hear!" He didn't say anything as he kept his head to the ground and nodded like a troubled little boy.
"Good! Y'all carry on," I looked to the room of students who still watched in awe with their mouths dropped open letting flies in before I walked out of the classroom, slamming the door shut behind me.