Chapter 4

Nikki's POV

As I walked around the bar just starting my shift at Grohl's, I was immediately greeted by a peppy Rachael.
"HEY, YOU! How was the rest of your night? Did you find your mystery man?'
"Boy, did I!"
I saw her eyes bulge out of her head and I laughed.
"Not like that!"
"What happened then?"
"Rach! I swear I have the worst luck! I should just give up by now" I said sighing in frustration.
"We had a great night talkin' and gettin' to know each other. He asked me to dinner on Friday and exchanged numbers.."
"Sooo what's the problem, Nikki?"
"Out of ALL the men I could've met in New York City...I ran into him today...at school...in class...he's my professor!"
I saw her jaw drop and I could see she was holding back laughing until she couldn't anymore and literally burst.
"OH MY GOD! SHUT UP! NOOOO! You can't be serious?"
"Oh, I'm dead serious! And he didn't seem too thrilled to see me as his student either"
Rachael took out freshly washed bar glasses to towel dry and I helped her put them away.
"Well, that's not necessarily a bad thing...He must really like you and it just...complicates things a bit with you as his student"
"A bit? More like ends things! He was completely professional with me and even bluntly told me after class there can't be anything between us.
"What's his name anyway?"
"Professor Harrison...Jake Harrison" I said with another sigh. She immediately stopped working and put the bar glass and towel down and looked at me with a smirk on her face.
"You can't be serious!"
"Why do you keep sayin' that?"
"Ohhhh this just got good!" She said bursting out laughing again. She had a devilish look on her face and laughed as she went back to towel drying the glasses.
"Aaaare you just gonna keep me in suspense or are you gonna tell me what's goin' on?"
"Jake is Tony's best friend! They went to college together! I'll have a little chat with Tony tonight and fill him in with the juicy details!"
"Please don't!"
"Don't worry Nikki, I'm sure you'll be seeing Jake plenty...outside of class now!" she said winking at me. I stood there thinking for a minute. Of course I wanted to see Jake again, we had instant chemistry and I wanted to see where it would lead. But he's my teacher! I didn't want to jeopardize my grades in his class or get him fired.
"I don't know Rach. He sounded adamant on his decision and if someone doesn't want to be with me then it's pathetic to force them!"
"Oh stop it! Look, all I'm going to say is this and don't get the wrong idea! I've seen Jake with plenty of girls, practically a different one each week"
"Oh lord, enough said!" I shut her down instantly and turned to put more glasses away.
"Hold on! I don't know Jake as well as Tony does but I know something happened in his past! He doesn't pursue girls and he doesn't get serious with them. But YOU seem different! He pursued you that night at Tony's exhibit!"
"That doesn't mean anything Rach!"
"Yes, it does! You mean something to him! And I'm not so sure he would easily turn his head the other way if he felt that!"
"Well, he already did so let's just drop it! Please!" I heard her let out a frustrated sigh as I walked away busying myself behind the bar with other cores before it became busy with local customers coming in for the evening rush.

***

The rest of the week flew by with classes and work. It was Friday night and it was my first day working at my internship for David Weber. This gallery entertained a lot of highly reputable people and prospective buyers. I had to look professional. I put effort into straightening my hair and doing my make up. Wearing a fitted black business jumper with black stiletto heels and paired it with some jewelry that was my mother's.
My first day entailed learning the ropes of my new position. It was my job to handle the phone calls, prepare purchase orders, and coordinating events and exhibit shows. Since I was only part-time, David Webber wanted me present mostly during special events. I was to mingle with the visitors, handle the catering, make sure they follow the rules, and monitor the artwork, keeping it safe while the gallery is open to the public.
As I exited the gallery to go home, a nervous feeling struck me as I walked to my car in the dark. The one thing I didn't like about New York was not feeling safe. A small girl like me walking alone in the dark streets of a big city, anything could happen. The thought of my father came running through my head and made me angry and uneasy.
I rushed to my car and turned the key. My old car took a while to start and the engine revved for a moment. Then my heart nearly burst when I heard a loud pop that sounded like a gunshot before my front hood poured out smoke and fumes.
"Damn it!"