Chapter 9

Nikki's POV

It was late September in New York but we were apparently in the middle of a heatwave. It felt like I was back in Mississippi and of course my A/C stopped working again. All I could think about was wearing something that I wouldn't be sweating my ass off in. I sweat enough in Jake's class from the tension between us and also my nervous anxiety of having to draw the naked people that stood in front of me and I didn't need another reason. I wore an old pair of ripped short shorts with a white crop top. A little revealing for school perhaps but again, it was too damn hot to care. And I couldn't shake the naughty thought that popped in my head as I checked myself in the mirror one last time before grabbing my bag and heading out. I wonder how Jake will react to my outfit choice today?

I was walking through the campus grounds much earlier than usual when I passed by Ethan on my way to the art department.
"Hey, what are you doing here this early today? And who are you trying to seduce?" He said looking over my outfit.
"I have a meeting with my advisor this morning! Oh and you know, Kyle! Duhh!" I said with sass but I couldn't hold back a laugh before his reaction and we both burst out laughing knowing that wouldn't be true even if Kyle was the last man in the entire city of New York.
"But seriously, I feel like I'm back in Mississippi with this heatwave! It's hotter than satin's armpit out here!" I said lifting my hair off my neck and stretching my arms out, not noticing who was around me until my elbow hit something hard.
"Trying to kill me, Miss Dawson?" I heard his deep voice as I was turning to see what hit my elbow.
"S-sorry!" My voice came out winded as our eyes met and I saw his electric blues trail down my body, igniting goosebumps over my skin. He kept walking ahead but with his head and eyes still glued to me like he couldn't look away until he bumped into another student.
"Sorry! Excuse me!" He stumbled into them and I choked back a laugh as he brought his eyes to me once more before turning around to continue his way into the building.
"Seducing our Professor is more like it, honey! He just eye fucked the shit out of you!" Ethan chimed in still standing next to me witnessing everything!

***

I met with my advisor who discussed with me the credits and courses I'd be required to take this semester and next to finally graduate with my bachelor's degree in Fine Arts. She gave me permission to access the school's supply closet for any materials I'd need such as paint, brushes, clay, pencils, etc. to complete assignments throughout the semester and I was incredibly grateful since money was tight.
"Of course, it's just down the hall to the left," She directed me.
"Oh and just be sure to prop the door open when you're in there because if it shuts it locks from the outside!" She added as I was on my way out.
I made my way to Jake's classroom to find it completely empty. I looked at the clock on my phone and realized my meeting went quick and I was ten minutes early. I decided to take her up on the offer and I exit the classroom, making my way down the hall to the supply closet to see what they had to offer.

When I opened the door, it was a mess. I guess some other students had also been granted permission and have already rummaged through taking what they needed. They sure left a mess as I cleared a path in order to step in. I stacked some crates on top of each other making it heavy enough to prop the door open. I saw some good paintbrushes and blank canvases tucked in the way back at the top. My short self wasn't remotely tall enough so I found more crates to stack and began to climb them. I was on my tippy toes and stretched my body as far as I could but only my fingers grazed the can of brushes. I stretched and leaned forward sightly hoping to be able to grip them when I felt the crate slip from under me.

Losing my balance and just about the fall, I feel someone's body jump in front of me, catching me in mid air. When we locked eyes on one another, it was like time had stood still. Those gorgeous ocean blue eyes I've been dreaming about were locked on mine once again. I felt his big, warm hands firmly bracing me at just above my waist. Slowly slipping up my body as my top up was sliding up with his hands. The feeling of his skin on mine sent shock waves through my body. He gently brought my feet down to the ground and our faces were left only inches apart with our eyes like glue. Feeling weak in the knees I was thankful his firm grip is still holding me tight.
"Th-thank you" I spoke in an etched, winded breath.
"Boy, you are trouble, aren't you?" He said with a smirk and I felt myself blushing again. Suddenly we were both startled by the sound of the crates propping open the door, dragging against the cement floor as the door began to close.
"NO! Don't let the door cl-"
Slam!
"-close! It will lock us in!"