Chapter 24: Moms letter

Ashley's moms P.O.V.

My daughter. She's gone. I look over to Sadie's room. She hasn't come out of her room ever since I handed her the letter.

I look down at my envelope. I'm not sure if I should be pleased or upset that I'm one of the last people she thought of. I probably did something wrong. It's my fault she wanted to kill herself. I'm a terrible mother.

I tear open the letter.

Mom.

I couldn't leave without saying goodbye to you.

You're probably wondering why I did it. I didn't do it because of you. You're an amazing mother.

I understand that you slipped a few times, when you'd get drunk. But that's okay. I slipped a lot more, and I'm hard to deal with.

The thing is, I was always there when you got drunk, because you needed me.

I like the thought of that. Somebody needing me.

I also needed you, a lot.

And you were there every damn time I needed you.

So this is not a letter about what you did wrong.

This is a letter to assure you that this had absolutely nothing to do with you.

Be a great stepmom to Sadie.

That's the one thing I ask.

Well, I lied. One more thing I ask. Tell dad, that I have no words for him. He had no words for me for the longest time of my life, and I have none for him.

-Ashley