Nine

Demi

"Ayla?" I called up the stairs, sighing as I glanced back at Kobe. He stepped towards me with a light smile and ran his hand along my belly. "I don't look pregnant in this, right? I don't want everyone to know before we're ready to tell them."

"You look hot, Babe."

"You always say that" he laughed as I rolled my eyes.

"It's the truth" I giggled as he leant down to brush his lips to mine as his hand slid around my waist and settled on my ass.

"Daddy, get your hand off mommy's ass" I giggled as I pulled from Kobe and glanced to Ayla as she stood on the stairs.

"What do you think you're wearing, Ayla?"

"A crop top and some shorts?"

"I don't..."

"Kobe" I cut in before he could continue. His eyes locked with mine and he sighed in defeat.

"Fine, are you ready to go?" I nodded and leant up to press a peck to his lips. He turned and headed into the living room to get Kyra, Isaiah and Ella ready to leave. I glanced to Ayla and she giggled as I winked at her.

"You look beautiful, Baby, but you really need to stop growing up" I could feel my eyes beginning to well with tears.

"Are you going to start crying again?" I glanced away from her and quickly poked my finger into my eye in an attempt to stop the tears. "Why do you cry so much lately?"

"It's a little thing called hormones, Peanut. You'll understand one day" I stroked a strand of hair behind her ear and ran my hand down her back as we headed towards the front door.

"Is it because of the babies?" I didn't get chance to answer Ayla's question because I was too surprised by who stood on the porch. My mouth fell open and I could feel Ayla staring at me.

"Max."

"Hi."

"What are you doing here?"

"I-I wanted to see my daughters."

"It's been 5 years, you're a little late" he shrugged his shoulders and glanced down to the floor. I turned to Ayla who was just staring at me. "Go and tell your dad..." I cut myself off as I glanced back at Max. Should I feel bad about Ayla calling Kobe dad? Max wasn't there though.

"Bebe's my dad, Mom. This guy stood on our porch is a nobody" I watched Ayla as she glared over at Max.

"Ayla..." Max tried to cut in but he failed as Ayla continued.

"I don't know you and I don't want too. Real dad's don't just walk out on their children. Bebe's my dad and he's more of a daddy then you ever was. He actually loves me" my heart ached slightly at the words leaving my daughters mouth. "You treated mom like dirt. I may have been little but I wasn't stupid. You can leave now" she sent him a glare before she turned on her heel and headed back into the house.

"I think you just got your answer, Max" I leant against the door.

"I won't let you keep them from me" I rolled my eyes and sighed, my hand subconsciously falling on my stomach.

"You tried this game over 5 years ago and you failed. It isn't going to work anymore, Max. They aren't the little girls that you left behind. Everything that just came out of Ayla's mouth is how she feels and it's all her because I haven't spoken to her about you. You lost, Max" he sighed. "Why are you here anyway? I thought you lived in New Jersey."

"I did. I'm getting divorced."

"I'm sorry" he nodded, glancing over my shoulder. I turned and smiled as Kobe headed towards me. He ran his hand along my back and pressed a kiss to the top of my head, his eyes still locked on Max who tried to look tough.

"You okay, Baby?"

"Yes, Max was just leaving" he held my gaze for a moment before he turned and headed down the driveway. Kobe locked his arms around me and I leant back into him.

"What did he want?"

"To see the girls" I turned around in his arms and wrapped my arms loosely around his neck. "Ayla basically told him to get fucked" I lightly laughed and Kobe's lips twitched at the corners. "She really loves you, ya know? You should have heard what she said to Max about you" Kobe rolled his eyes and lightly laughed as my eyes welled up with tears.

"Hormones?" I nudged him in the chest as he continued to laugh. "We're all ready to go when you are" I nodded, going up into my tiptoes so I could press my lips to his.

"I love you and there aren't enough words in the world for me to use to thank you for everything. You stepped up as a daddy to Ayla and Kyra when you really didn't need too."

"I loved you and those girls were half you. I couldn't just walk away. You all needed someone and I wanted to be that person."

"You're so cheesy."

"You know it, Baby" I giggled as I leant up to peck his lips. "Hopefully, now that Ayla's spoken with Max and he knows how she feels, he'll leave us alone for good. Why did he think shit would have changed after 5 years?" I shrugged as I followed Kobe back towards the living room.

"I don't know, he's delusional" I walked up to Ayla as I headed into the living room. "You okay, Peanut?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Are we going to nana and papi's now?"

"We are, so let's go" I took Ayla's hand in mine as Kobe, Kyra and Isaiah headed towards the front door.

"You sure that you're okay, Ayla?"

"Why did he leave us?" I sighed as I stroked a strand of hair behind her ear. Her honey eyes were searching mine for an answer that I didn't have for her.

"I don't know, Baby, he-he just changed."

"Did he not love us?"

"He loved you, he just didn't love me anymore" she nodded, glancing down at the floor. "If you want too..." Ayla cut me off before I could even finish.

"I don't want to know him, Mom. He left us. He's nothing. I have an amazing daddy already, I don't need him" I lightly smiled and wrapped my arms around her.

"I love you so much, Ayla Mackenzie."

"I love you too, Mommy."

——