Twenty Two

Demi

"I really thought for a moment that I'd lost you" my chapped lips twitched slightly at the corners as I tightened my grip around Kobe's hand.

"You-You can't get rid of me that-that easily" he lightly smiled as he leant in to kiss me. "Can I have some water?" he nodded as he pulled away, grabbing the glass of water off the table. I pressed the button to lift my head up, reaching out for the glass which I instantly brought up to my lips. The liquid soothed my dry throat. "What-What do the-the babies look like?" he lightly laughed at my choice of words. "Shut up. My-My brain is all fuzzy" he leant to kiss my temple.

"Elijah's your double, he-he's a cutie and Indi's gorgeous" my lips ached as my smile widened.

"Do-Do you have photos?" he nodded. "Can I see them?" he grabbed his phone, handing it to me a moment later. Tears burnt the back of my eyes at the sight of my baby.

"That's Indi" I nodded, swallowing down the lump in my throat. "She was born first. She weighs 2lb 6oz. She has a tight grip" I lightly laughed, wincing at the slight pain it caused. He combed his fingers through my hair. "She really is beautiful. You can't really see it in the photo but she has a birthmark on her forearm, it looks a little like California" I raised my eyebrows as I glanced to Kobe who nodded. "No lie, it really does. The nurses said that it could fade but I like it" I rolled my eyes, glancing back down at the photo. "And then if you swipe to the left" I did and the sight of my baby boy made tears flow down my cheeks. "And that's Elijah. He weighs 3lb 2oz and he really is your double" I lightly smiled, wiping the tears from my cheeks.

"I can't wait to see them" Kobe pressed his lips to my temple as I kept my eyes on Elijah. We spoke about the twins until my doctor came in. It thankfully didn't take me long to convince him to let me go and see the twins.

"I don't see any reason you couldn't" he flashed me a light smile. Kobe lightly laughed as my lips twitched into an excited smile. He leant to kiss my cheek as I wrapped my hand around his and I gave it a squeeze. "I want you to take it easy though, okay?" I nodded my understanding.

"I promise."

Kobe and my nurse helped me into a wheelchair. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't in pain because I was but I was trying my hardest to hide it. I released a breath as I sunk down into the wheelchair and Kobe took a hold of the handles.

"I'm sorry if I hit any bumps" I shook my head and lightly giggled as I glanced briefly back at him.

"It's fine" he leant to kiss my cheek and then started to push me from the room and down the corridor. The moment my eyes saw the sign for the NICU, my heart began to pound against my chest and an uncontrollable smile spread across my face. Kobe buzzed at the main door and it felt like it took forever for somebody to answer.

"Hi Kobe. Here to see the twins" her eyes then turned to me. "You must be mommy" I nodded, tears burning the backs of my eyes. "You can both come in. You know where the twins are" I kept blinking to hold back my tears as Kobe wheeled me into the main area where numerous incubators lay dotted around the room. My heart ached slightly for all these little babies who lay fighting for their lives.

"The twins are over there" my eyes followed his finger that pointed at two incubators that were close together. I swallowed down the lump in my throat as Kobe wheeled me over. A single teardrop rolled down my cheek as we came to a stop between both incubators. "Elijah's on your left. Indi's on your right" he pressed a kiss to my temple.

"I-I don't know who to look at first" Kobe lightly laughed, his lips remaining pressed to my temple.

"Just take it easy, Dem, okay?"

"I'm fine, Ko" his hand settled on my back as I slowly pushed myself up from the wheelchair. The movement ached and it was a little painful but I tried my hardest to hide that from Kobe. I don't need him to worry that I'm pushing myself too far. "Left or right?" Kobe continued to laugh as I remained facing forward, unsure of who to look at first.

"Well, Elijah's currently got his eyes open" my head turned to the left, my heart melting and tears beginning to flow down my cheeks at the sight of my little boy.

"Hi-Hi Handsome" my voice shook due to my tears. His eyes darted around, his neck slightly arched as he seemed to be searching for my voice. "It's mommy, Baby" I slowly eased my hand into the hole of the incubator and just sobbed harder as I slid the tip of my finger into the palm of his hand. "I-I'm so sorry" I choked on a sob as Kobe instantly moved to my side, his hand settled on my back. I leant into him and cried.

"Baby, why are you sorry?"

"Be-Because I-I couldn't pro-protect them any-any longer" Kobe released a breath as he pressed his lips to my forehead.

"This isn't your fault, Demi" I glanced up to meet his gaze, all I could see was honesty. "I don't blame you and I never will" he stroked a strand of hair behind my ear. "I'm just so relieved that you're all okay. You gave us all a scare, Dem."

"I'm sorry" I practically mouthed. He shook his head as he leant to kiss me.

"You don't need to apologise. I love you" I nodded, puckering my lips for another kiss. He laughed and rolled his eyes as if I was an inconvenience to him. "You want to see Indi now?" I nodded, not even hesitating to turn around and see my little girl.

——

I'm so sorry it's taken so long for an update 😢
I hope this makes up for it.