Eighteen

Kobe

"Kobe?" I lifted my head up from my hands and glanced to Dianna as she stepped into the relatives room with Eddie just behind her. Her hand covered her mouth and she suddenly looked moments away from crying when she noticed the tears pouring down my cheeks. "What's happened?" she took a seat beside me, her hand running along my back.

"She-She was losing too much blood and-and the twins heartrates were-were dropping" I choked on a sob, shaking my head as I dropped it back down into my hands. "They've taken her to surgery. She-She was unconscious when they wheeled her out of the room" Dianna lay her head on my arm as she cried softly. "I'm scared. I-I can't lose her, Di. I can't lose her or our babies" she took my hand and gave it a squeeze.

"She's a warrior. She'll pull through this."

"I really hope so" I quickly wiped at my cheeks.

"I'm going to see if I can find anything out" I nodded over at Eddie who turned to leave the room. Dianna relaxed back against her chair and I sighed as I wiped at my cheeks.

"How long has it been? How long have you been sat in here?"

"I don't even know. I just want to know if they're alive. I can't lose them, Dianna" she kept her hand wrapped around mine and gave it a squeeze.

"Babies, especially twins, are born this early all the time. They'll just need a little extra help" Demi is 30 weeks so the twins have a 90% survival rate. It isn't the twins I'm too worried about, it's Demi. I can't lose her. I can't be a good dad without her. I need her in my life. A silence settled around us until Eddie stepped back into the room with a female doctor.

"Is everything okay?"

"I've just come to give you a bit of an update" I nodded for her to continue. "We've successfully delivered the twins, they've been transferred to the NICU. They're all settled so you can visit them as soon as you're ready" Dianna gave my arm a gentle squeeze. "You have a beautiful son and daughter" a sad smile spread across my face as my eyes welled up with tears.

"What about Demi?"

"She-She died on the table" my world stopped. "It took us nearly 30 minutes to get her back. She-She lost over 3 pints of blood. We had to perform a hysterectomy to control the bleeding. She's currently having a blood transfusion and we're transferring her to the ICU. We need to monitor her closely for any signs of brain damage and any further deterioration but at the minute, she's stable. We're doing everything for her."

"Can-Can we see her?" I was thankful as Dianna spoke.

"I'll come and get you when she's settled in the ICU" the doctor lightly smiled. "You can go and see the twins though. I'm sure they'd love to hear a familiar voice."

"Thank you, Doctor" she gave us a nod. She turned to Eddie but I zoned out on the rest of their conversation. I turned to Dianna who had tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Do you want to go and see the twins?" I silently nodded. I need to keep my mind off Demi, maybe seeing the twins will help a little with that. Dianna silently walked along beside me as we headed towards the NICU. My heart hammered against my chest the closer we got. The thought of seeing the twins terrified me. They'll be so tiny. Dianna led me towards the NICU's reception. I didn't pay any attention to the conversation she was having with the nurse behind the desk, I was staring around the open plan room, incubators filled with premature and sick babies.

"The Johnson twins, they're just over here" Dianna lightly tugged on my arm and I followed her as she followed the nurse towards two incubators that were closer together. "They're both doing really well. Baby Girl was born first" she pointed at the incubator closest to us. I stepped up to it, tears filling my eyes as they landed on the tiny baby inside. "She weighs 2lb 6oz. She has a good set of lungs on her too. She's a loud crier" I lightly smiled down at my daughter. "And then Baby Boy was born 3 minutes after his sister. He weighs 3lb 2oz" she pointed at the other incubator. I leant down over the other incubator, unable to believe how much he already seemed to look like Demi.

"You already have your mommy's chin, Buddy."

"Do we have any names picked out for these beauties that I can write down?" I glanced over at Dianna who flashed me a light smile as she looked up from her granddaughter.

"We-We have names chosen but-but I don't know what Demi would think."

"She would trust you, Kobe. Go with your heart, you'll make the right choice" I nodded as I glanced back down at my son.

"For-For a boy, we liked Elijah. Elijah Kai Johnson" the nurse lightly smiled as she jotted it down on the little card on the side of the incubator. "And then it was Indiana Devonne Johnson."

"Beautiful names. She suits an Indiana" I lightly smiled as I watched my daughter. "If you push your hand through the hole in their incubator, you can hold their hands."

"I-I don't want to hurt them" I shook my head as I spoke.

"You won't hurt them. I promise" I glanced down at my daughter as I slowly eased my hand through the hole in the side of the incubator. I pressed the tip of my index finger into the palm of her hand, a soft sob slipping from my lips as her hand instantly curled around it. It didn't even fully wrap around the tip of my finger.

"Hi Princess" her grip tightened a little on my finger. "I love you and your brother so much, Indi. You're so beautiful."

"So beautiful" I glanced up at Dianna with a smile. "You two are loved so much already. Don't worry about your mommy, okay? She loves you both more than anything. She'll be here with you soon" I sadly smiled as I turned to stare at my son. I felt comforted as I watched his little chest rise and fall.

"I love you too, Buddy" I softly spoke, it hurt as I stared at him. He looks so much like Demi.

——