Chapter 52 Unexpected

"I still need to get my sneakers for the dance. We have to get the hair for step. I really need to get my eyebrows done. They are a mess. Can we pleeeeeease get them done? Are we going to have enough time to do all that? When are you coming to pick me up? Momma?! Why are you laughing?" She just said everything within fifteen seconds!

"Relax babygirl. It's only 3. I'll be there in a minute," is all Ms. T says. She is nowhere near as frantic as her daughter.

"But Momma, we..." The urgency coming from the phone starts back up again but is cut off.

"Amarah, I said I will be there in a minute. I love you. BYYYYEEEEEEEE!" Ms. T laughs through her goodbye.

"UGH! Love you too." And the phone disconnects.

"Wow. She is high strung. High energy or what?" I ask wide-eyed and grinning.

"You have no idea!" Ms. T begins to laugh to herself.

Ms. T gets up and slides her bookbag on her shoulder and heads off towards the door.

"Good luck tomorrow... Good luck tonight." I chuckle and Ms. T looks back at me with piercing amusement in her eyes. She waves me off.

"No more studying tonight. Let's see what your memory will retain. Good luck on your date." She does air-quotes on the word date.

"Yeah. Yeah." I smile to myself as the door closes behind her.

In this moment, I am feeling envy towards her daughter. Not because of who she is but because her momma, Ms. T, is hyper focused on her life and success. The simple, 'I love you' exchange is something I long for.

In these moments I can feel all the years of longing compile into one huge volcano waiting to force out its lava-filled pain and anger with a fury that the surrounding area is not prepared for. All the years of pent-up aggression. All of it waiting to come to a head. Waiting for the perfect moment to destroy everything that stands in its way. Devouring beauty and transforming everything to a black, hardened muck of nothingness.

In these feelings, the longing is most evident and painful. To see what I should have in my life and should have had growing up, makes my teeth clench and my fists ball. It makes the door I installed in my wall for Curtis, slowly seal back up. Filled with brick and concrete. Fortified by years of neglect.

Just as I feel like I am going to self-combust, the garage door to the house opens and closes.

"Hey, Daddy!" This man always shows up at the perfect times. He must have a radar of his daughter's mental breakdowns or something.

"Hey, babygirl." He kisses my forehead, as he always has over the years. "How was your studying? I drove past Ms. T." He unbuttons his suit jacket and loosens his ties, while sitting down next to me.

"It went well. I am remembering more and more. I'm confident I will pass everything." I look to him.

"And? ..." He always knows when something is up.

"And... She is a little scary." We both start laughing.

"Yeah?!" I nod to him with big eyes. "What happened?"

"I was getting upset because I felt like she was prying. You know how I am... and I uh... stood up above her, angrily, with my fists at my side, without even knowing it, and she told me to calm down because that is not a fight I was ready for or wanted..." He starts laughing, loudly. What? I thought he would be furious that she threatened me. A stranger threatening his babygirl. "Why are you laughing? I thought you were going to be-"

"Mad?" He cut me off and starts to calm.

"Yes. I figured you would be pissed that she threatened me." I am feeling upset with him now. How is he okay with this?