Chapter 12 Hush

I do not know where that came from. I have no idea why I said that. Take your words back. Do I really want to talk to those vultures? No! All three of them stop eating and look at me. I wish you could see the look I am giving you. I take another bite of my almost red ice cream. I am trying to swallow my anxiety. I can feel it creeping its way into my nerves. I should back down and say never mind. Yes. Exactly what I was thinking. I should ask him to forget that I mentioned it. Agreed.

"Molly..." My dad begins. Drop it Molly. Let it go. Move on and enjoy your ice cream Molly.

"Hear me out." What? We are dropping this. We are going to relax and eat our ice cream. No! I mean, yes. I wait for his eyes to tell me to continue. He takes a large breath and releases it. He blinks at me then nods.

"Okay. Plead your case." He sits back against the couch leaving his ice cream on the coffee table. He is very reluctant. I can tell I am going to have to lawyer this case up a bit.

All eyes are on me. I take one more bite and swallow slowly while I think. LET IT GO! Nothing good can come from this. Here goes nothing.

"Ok... So... All those reporters are outside of the house because they want to know what happened. They want to know if I was on drugs or drinking or whatever..." This thought makes me see red. STOP! "I was not, but they don't know that. I feel like I need to let everyone know my side. They need to know what actually happened. Maybe then they will back off a little. I don't want all those cameras at the funeral. They are not going to leave me alone until I say something." I think I will smash a camera if they ruin his funeral. You will. That is why you need to let this go, NOW! "I want them to know that even though I was driving, I am a victim of this accident too. That one reporter is making me out to be a villain. I AM NOT!" I feel like one though. "And if they see the injuries I suffered too, maybe they will understand more." Why do you even care? They mean nothing to you. "If I wait until I am all healed and glowing, then I don't think it will be as genuine. It will be a week tomorrow so this is the perfect time." I stop and wait. Bad idea Molly. Bad idea.

That was easier to plead than I thought it was going to be. You should have shut up before you started. They are all still staring at me and I am feeling very uneasy but confident in my words and with my decision to talk to the press. I seriously disagree. After a couple minutes of thinking, my dad finally is ready to say something. I am hoping he strongly disagrees with me.' He looks up at me.

"Are you absolutely sure this is what you want?" No, she does not want this. She is just talking. Ignore her. "Really think about this Molly. You have not encountered headline thirsty reporters before. The media is split. Mostly on your side, but certain news stations will twist your words into whatever they want to hear." My dad stops as I rethink this decision. Yes. NO! I take a moment to reply.

"Yes, Daddy. This is what I want. I need to be heard and I think Curtis would want me to stand up for myself." I do think that is exactly what he would want. Still wants, is what I feel in my heart. Maybe he does but he is not here to calm you down and center you. Wait. Did I just say his name? Yes, you did! Aloud? Yup! "I can't hide forever." Can I? I want to.

"Okay." What? You are supposed to say no. "I will contact my lawyer in the morning and have them set something up." I can tell he still feels this is a bad idea. Me too.

Sherrie and Dre say nothing. I look up at each of them and smile. "Okay, enough seriousness. Let's eat our ice cream and watch a movie. Who's picking?" I attempted to hush my inner thoughts, my inner me, because I know they are upset with me right now. You got that right! My dad reaches his arm out and I hand him the remote from off the table.