Chapter 37 Value

I am running. To where? Nowhere. Just running. I see nothing ahead of me or behind me. There is nothing to right or left of me. I raise my head to see the sky, but it is also lacking any details. I am running on nothing. My feet never meet any type of surface.

I am still in my dress from the funeral. It is even more torn, with pieces of the fabric being dragged by the wind I am creating. My feet are bare and sore. I feel the stains of my tears that are now dry on my delicate skin. My hair is whipping around. My breathing is steady. My arms are bent at the elbow. Hands open.

I am fearful. There are no lights to guide me. There is no path to show me the way. I have no destination. I have no home.

"Molly wake up." Tibby shakes my shoulders. "Molly." She shakes me again. The pain from colliding with the wall jolts through me.

My eyes blink open. I can feel slobber on the side of my face. I wipe it and hope it did not look as bad as I think. I sit up and Tibby stands up straight.

"You okay?" Tibby looks concerned.

"Yeah. Just a bad dream. Not my first." I feel awkward.

"I hate those types of dreams. They fuck me up sometimes." She walks away and puts her pants on.

"What time is it?" The sun is up and bright.

"Almost 1. I have family shit to do so I have to bring you home," she tells me.

"Oh okay. Sorry. Didn't mean to sleep so late." I hate to mess up her plans.

"I just woke up too." She walks over to the fridge and pulls out the leftovers from last night. She sits down at the table and begins to eat.

"You aren't going to heat that up?" I am confused.

"No. Trust me, you do not want to do that. It tastes fine cold." She points to the box that I assume is mine.

I get up and join her. I open the lid and the food looks just as terrible as I remember it. I take a bite and it tastes... Not so good. It does taste the same but I remember it being the best thing I have ever tasted before.

"This does NOT taste as good as it did last night," I say, with my eyebrows forced together.

"Told you it's only good when you're drunk. Which you were. You should prolly eat the rest of it so you don't get a massive hangover headache." I do as she instructs.

I force down the bites. They are not terrible but they are not good either. She finishes hers and cleans up. I do the same.

"Okay, let's go." Tibby walks out the door and to her apartment. I can here kids playing next door. Tibby's phone goes off, "Yeah? I'll be back in like an hour. Be ready to go. Oh, she is still sleeping." She hangs up.

I grab my stuff and go to change out of the borrowed clothing.

"Keep it. I have plenty more. Besides you don't want to walk into your house with your dress in shambles." This will be the second outfit she has given me.

"Are you sure?" She nods her head to tell me yes. She puts on some sweatpants and a shirt. She grabs a black bookbag and throws it over her shoulder.

"You ready?" I point to my feet. She puts her finger in the air and walks away. She comes back with flip-flops. "Monique left these in here forever ago. Don't worry about it." She sees the look on my face to her giving me something else.

"I can have someone come get me. You don't have to bring me home." I do not want her to see my house. I still feel abashed about her noticing the huge difference between us and our lives.