Chapter 17 Surprise

Whoa, that was uncalled for. I am getting tired of them treating me like a baby, though. I was in a car accident. Yes, I lost someone who meant and still means the world to me, but I am not fragile. I may be a little broken but I can manage. I do not need a babysitter or someone on look out at all times.

"Molly?!" My dad scolds me and I cannot even be upset with him about it. I was wrong to speak to her like that.

"Sorry. I didn't mean it like that." But I do mean it. That caged feeling is creeping in again and stronger. I physically shake the thought out of my head. "I know you are only trying to help and be here for me. Really, I am sorry." I did not mean to snap at her. This frenzied feeling is inching its way into my mind and nerves.

"Okay," Sherrie plainly states. 

My dad looks to me with mild disappointment but says nothing further. I walk away and under the black I go. I hear my dad tell them not to take it personally because I am feeling the pressure. Normally I hate when people speak for me but I leave it be. My battle is not with them right now. I look both ways down the hallway and the black-lined walls feel like a representation of me right now, absent from life and lonely; dark and only lit artificially. Emptiness. It is sad really.

I slide my hand along the black fabric finding the bathroom door handle. I go to lift the curtain and see my dad, Dre and Sherrie enter the hallway. I slide under and enter the bathroom. After relieving my bladder, I stare at myself in the mirror while washing my hands. Maybe I should have put some make-up on. Hopefully the lights will filter out some of my imperfections. But you want to look like hell remember?

I brush my teeth for a second time today I definitely do not want any food stuck in my teeth. Now that would be embarrassing. I turn off the water and dry my hands on one of the floral hand towels hanging next to the sink, fluffing my hair a little before exiting. I am looking in the mirror as I turn off the light and head out of the bathroom.

"UGH!" I run smack into a body. Totally forgetting the black was there. Large hands grab me through the sheet to steady me.

I hear a mild laugh.

"You good?" I begin to laugh a little as Dre steadies me. When I am still, Dre lifts the cloth for me to walk under it.

"Forgot it was there." I look up at him. We are both full laughing now.

As we get to my dad's office door, Dre stops and looks at me.

"If, at any moment you need to leave, give me the look and I will get you out of there." His eyes are very serious. I take a very deep and slow breath and clasp my hands together. "You ready?" I look up at him and nod. Dre opens the door.

My dad's office has been transformed. His desk is to the side of the room. The two sofa chairs are next to each other, opposite a single chair that looks similar to those chairs you always see on movie sets. I see a huge camera on a tripod and two large bright lights facing the two chairs. By the newly located desk, my dad is standing with a woman. She is wearing a grey pencil skirt from mid waist to knee and a white, button-down blouse tucked in. Her heels are high, making her almost as tall as my dad, who is almost six feet. Her hair is pulled back into a low ponytail. My dad seems to be friendly with her. Maybe it is a good idea, since she will be interviewing me. My dad notices me. When him and the lady turn towards me, she has a broad smile. She is beautiful, like, really beautiful.

Just as my dad heads towards me with the woman, he looks at his phone. He answers it and asks Dre to accompany him. They walk out of the room leaving me with the unfamiliar woman. I hope she does not start questioning me without them here. I start to feel very uneasy as she gets to me. I begin to shift. Shit. Where is my dad? She is about to say something. I close my eyes tight in anticipation for an intrusion.