Chapter 26 Trauma

Dre's window is already down by the time the cop reaches it. I can feel such a heavy emotion in this small space. I have never felt this before. This energy makes me nervous. It makes me uneasy and afraid. For what? Of what? I am not sure. But I feel it and it is very strong. It radiates and pulsates.

"License and registration," The cop demands. He seems too cocky and full of himself. His shoulders are squared and his stance is strong. His hands rest on the belt wrapped around his waist. It looks like one of his hands is on his gun but I cannot make it out. His demeanor is meant to intimidate. It gives me the chills. Literally.

"I am going to get my wallet out of my back pocket and the registration is in the glove department," Dre informs the cop.

Dre then begins to move so slow and cautiously. I am not sure why. I remember when Curtis got pulled over, he just got the stuff. He did not announce anything or put his hands on the dash. I feel scared and I am still not sure why. I grab my phone and text my dad telling him that I am with Dre and that Dre got pulled over.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?" the cop asks as Dre hands him the two documents. Dre says nothing only nods his head no. "What are you doing in this area?"

What? What the fuck does that mean? In this area? Dre is not allowed in THIS area? He is allowed to go wherever he wants. I am fuming right now. There is the crack...

"I wa-" I cut Dre off as he begins his explanation.

"He was picking me up from my friend's house and what do you mean what is he doing in THIS area?" I explain then question, perhaps more loudly than I should have.

"Roll down your window ma'am." The cops tells me and I look at Dre for permission. I receive the 'Go ahead' look from him and I do. I notice Dre's hands are back on the dash.

"I will let you know that there is no reason for you to-" I am cut off by my phone ringing. "Hello. Daddy. This cop pulled Dre over and then asked him, 'What are you doing in this area?' and I am pissed. How dare-" I am cut off by my dad. Can no one get a full sentence in right now?

"Let me talk to the officer." My dad is the one demanding now. He sounds serious and stern.

"My father wants to talk to you," I tell the officer and hand him the phone. He seems reluctant to take the device but does.

"Hello?" The cop seems a little weary. I can hear my dad's loud talking but I cannot make out what he is saying. "Okay sir. I apologize. Here is your daughter," and hands me the phone back and walks back to Dre and gives him the two things back. "Sorry about the inconvenience. Have a good day," the cop says to Dre and walks away.

My eyes follow him to his cruiser. He gets in and turns off the sirens. A second later, he pulls off and passes us.

"Hello?" I ask into my phone.

"He left?" My dad asks.

"Yeah, he's gone." I respond flatly but there is still clear annoyance in my tone.

"Okay. I will see you guys when I get home. I will be at the office until around dinner time. I love you," he says and I begin to relax.

"Okay. I love you too," I tell my daddy and I do love him very much.

I hang up the phone and roll my window up.

"You okay?" I ask Dre.

"Yeah... I'm good," Dre answers but he seems upset with me.

"What's wrong? Are you mad at me?" I hope he is not.

"Not mad but that could have gone very differently, Molly. I asked you to stay quiet and still. You could have startled the cop and that could have been the end of my life. We got lucky. Next time, please do what I say." He is upset but more at the situation. His tone is relief and worrisome. The end of his life? For what? Why? Did I miss something? I have to be missing something here.