Chapter 39 Things in 3's

"Which one?" Dre asks to clarify.

"That one." I touch the cold, marked metal.

"That's really cute!" Dre says after reading it. There is red marker that reads, 'DADDYSGIRL'. I wrote it when I was eleven on my eleventh birthday after we got burgers and icecream. I did not want a party that year so my dad asked me what I wanted to do.

"There's more." I point about a foot above that and it reads 'Lyssa & Molly F4E'. We put this here when we were fifteen.

"What's F4E?"

"Friends 4 Ever." I snarl while I say it. "Do you have a marker or pen or something?" I need to scratch this out.

"No. But next time I come out here, I'll fix it." Dre promises.

I walk to the other side, "And there is this one," I say very sadly. Dre rubs my back when he reads the words, 'Forever in Love MS & CG' with a huge heart encasing the inscription. This one was written by him on our first anniversary.

Dre takes the phone and takes a picture of it. "I'll send it to you." I start to shiver. "I think it's time to go," he says and I agree, thenwe head back to where we parked.

Halfway up the pier, I loop an arm around Dre's. Not sure why I do this but it is comforting. He does not stop me. We walk in silence, taking in the night sky. The breeze is cool and feels nice. At least I am feeling some type of sensation. We pass a few people who look at us oddly. We pay them no mind.

Nothing of real importance is thought or said or happens when we get back to the truck or on our drive home. We both seem to enjoy the silence. The music is off and just the wind from the windows being down is what is heard. Not many people are out so the streets are fairly vacant. I am so caught up in the quiet of everything, that the sound of the garage door lifting startles me.

"Thanks, Dre," I tell him as I am walking to the door.

"No problem. I am spent. Bed time for me." He opens the door for me.

"Yeah, me too. I have schooling in the morning." I say schooling like we have a long-standing grudge.

"So happy I'm not a teen anymore. School was not my favorite thing." He shakes his head while saying that.

"Ugh. I'm excited that it'll be over in a few weeks." But then you have college... Maybe...

"When do you graduate?"

"I think the technical last day is the eighteenth but the ceremony is on the twenty-first. I only have two finals this year so I after this week I will only have to go take those two tests." The sooner the better.

"Oh. That's not too bad. You are going to walk the stage, right?" The question is in his eyes as well.

"Absolutely! I won't let those assholes stop me from that." I worked too hard for my diploma to let anything stand in my way.

"Good. I'll save the date." I would love for him to be there.

"You better, brother." We laugh with each other and finish our way up the stairs. At my door, I reach up and give him a hug. "Night."

"Night, sister." I close my door behind me. His door opens and closes within seconds.

In my room, I push the light switch on. I take in the old me. The person I was before this tragedy. The youthful, hopeful, excited, prepared, invincible person who is in love, with some innocence to her. The eyes of me before this accident are different from the person I see in the mirror now. Her eyes were changed in an instant. So many things were modified. Altered. Transformed into something darker. Something needier, angrier. The irises remain the shade of the girl in the photos. But everything else is not the same.