Chapter 19 Questions

I run until I see the bright red sign, 'Property line', posted on a tree. I keep going because I know that in another mile or two, I will reach the house on the other side. The family that used to live there, I would play with their two kids when I was younger. We would meet at the willow tree. I slow down for a second because I can barely breathe and my body is beginning to feel very sore from all this sudden activity. The sun is setting now. I can tell because the woods are getting dark. I can still see, though. I look at my phone to see what time it is. I have been gripping it this entire time without knowing it. It is after 6 pm. I see a little envelope at the top of the screen. I open it.

Are you okay?

Where did you go?

I am sorry she came looking for you. She grabbed my phone off the table before I could react.

Please answer me.

Molly.

My dad is frantic right now. I have to respond to him.

I am okay. I will call you in a little while. Promise. And I will once I get somewhere. Please do NOT tell her I am okay. I dont want her to know anything. She does not deserve to feel better. And I hope he does not tell her. He can tell Dre and Sherrie but not her.

I put the phone in the bag and keep going. I walk at a steady pace. The woods have changed a little since I have been in them. The trail me and the kids made is almost nonexistent. There are more smaller trees growing. It still smells the same. Like camping minus the campfire. I love this smell. I really do miss it out here. I cannot believe it has been so long. At least 4 years.

I begin to hear noises, you know, forests noises. I am alone. I am not sure if I am the one that is snapping branches and twigs under my feet but I hear them breaking. I am getting freaked out. I walk right into a branch because I am not paying attention, instead I am canvasing the area like I am hunting... or being hunted. This makes me squeal and I start running again. My sweater gets caught while I am running. I slow down after a few minutes into a fast pace, almost a jog.

I hear something to the left of me and it catches me off guard so I run again. Ouch! I am stopped in my tracks to metal presses in between my chest and stomach and I go flying, feet over head and fall hard on the ground. Fuck that hurts. That fence definitely was not there the last time I entered this yard. The wind is knocked out of me and a rush of pain smashed straight to my core and through my entire body. I lay there for a second for my body to recover.

*Woof! Woof!* The sound of hustled paws are headed towards me and fast.

Oh shit! Oh shit! Oh shit! That dog was not here before, either. I run so fast across the yard; you would swear I was a sprinter. I hurry and open the gate before the dog reaches me. Once I close the gate, I turn to see the dog. I put my hands on my knees and try to catch my breath. Again. For the hundredth time today. The dog is not huge but big enough. I have made it to the driveway of what used to be a familiar yard and home. A sharp whistle slices through my ears.

"Hey you there?" Damn it. "You okay? I witnessed you fly over the fence." It is a younger guy probably in his twenties. He is coming over to me, while remaining inside of the fence.

"Yeah, I'm good. Sorry. I got lost in the woods for a minute there. I used to walk the trail from the willow tree to back here when I was a kid." I tell him trying to stake a claim and justify me being on his property. I am talking through my panting and trying regain a proper breathing rhythm.

"So that's where the trail leads. Never went passed the property line sign." He states. I get it. I see now he is holding a beer and is rubbing the pup's head.