one

My phone started to ring as I turned off the hot water, I've been waking up at 5:30 Am nearly every day for the past 5 years but every morning I feel as tired as the last if not worst. As I stepped out of the shower the cold air that greeted me made me shiver. "Hello," I said as I hit the speakerphone button.

"Hello, is this miss. Spencer?" A very raspy voice asked through the phone.

"Yes," I replied as I squeezed my hair with a towel.

"My name is Miss Davis, I was given your number on high recommendation from a few coworkers." She spoke quickly.

"Ok, miss Davis. What can I help you with?" I asked as I flipped my hair in front of me bending forward to wrap a towel around it.

"Well I'm moving from England and I need a new house and office. Would now be a good time to talk?" She questioned, I pulled on my robe before picking up my phone.

"Sure, but I'll need just a second to get to my desk." I said, she hummed to say yes and I quickly ran to my office. "ok, Miss Davis an apartment and an office." I tried to sound as old and proper as I could, her thick British accent intimidated me for some reason.

"Yes, I want a fair size office with an extra room. I want my room separate from my secretary but I want a door connecting her space to mine that's not in the main waiting room."

"Ok, Miss Davis-" "-You can call me Ma'am." She interpreted, and for some reason, my stomach fluttered the dominance in her voice almost tickled.

"Ma'am." I corrected myself and Miss Davis made a pleased sound in the back of her throat. "Would you mind telling me what your business is, it would help me with finding a place," I said trying to keep my voice as even as I could

"I own a publishing company." She said quickly and I could hear her typing on a keyboard.

"Ok, m- Ma'am." I corrected myself.

"Listen I have changed my mind I would much rather do this in person." She said.

"Sure, no problem. When is good for you?" I looked at my nearly blank agenda.

"Would this evening at 6 work?" She asked. I pulled her eyebrows together, it was very late for a meeting but who was I to turn down two sells.

"Sure-" I said and before I could say another word she spoke.

"I'll be at the hill view dining hall, ask for me and they'll show you to our table."

"Ok, miss Davis see you tonight." I hung up. That was the most intense phone call I'd ever had for some reason, I couldn't put my finger on it but I knew I had to dress my best tonight and I had to impress. My sales were so bad I knew I was going to get fired. I guess that's what happens when you're a 19-year-old working with a bunch of 50-year-old women whose husbands were obviously cheating on them. I wrote Miss Davis in my book and the information she told to me, I then stood up going into my room. I opened my closet looking at my selection, I grabbed my red dress to see what it looked like I haven't worn it yet. I held it up to me as I looked in the mirror, I didn't hate my body but I loved trying new weight loss teas and things like that. I did yoga every morning and eat salads at least three days a week. I pulled on a pair of yoga pants and a sports bra, I dried my hair with the towel quickly once I was done I threw the towel on the bed. I went into my living room and did yoga for about 10 minutes once I was done I ate a bowl of yogurt and strawberries.

At 5:30 I ran to my room, I pulled on my black dress, the red just wasn't working. I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled fixing my long dark hair, I look ok. I really needed these sales. She sounded young and she also sounded.... interested in me. I was going to drive my car but I decided on a taxi for some reason.

"Hello, Miss. Davis?" I said to a rough-looking man who was about 40. He smiled at me and I knew it was fake, he looked down at the list then at me.

"Follow me."

"Ok," I said and we walked through the restaurant to a seat in the back, who I'm guessing is Miss Davis stood up and the guy showing me to my table turned around walking away.

"Miss Spencer?"

"Call me Dolly." I smiled and so did she, she pulled out my chair and I sat as she pushed it in.

"You're much more... Fascinating in person." She said and my eyes wandered around her face, what a weird thing to say...

"Fascinating?" I questioned.

"When a colleague gave me your number I was expecting a 40-year-old woman from Beverly Hills." She said.

"Well, I'm none of those things," I said. "Well except a woman!" I said and she smiled.

"That's good to know."

"Can I start you off with something?" A young woman asked.

"Champagne." Miss Davis said without taking her eyes off me, she walked away as I went to speak.

"Miss Davis-" "-please continue to call me ma'am." She said.

"Sorry. Ma'am, but I'm not 21 yet."

"It's ok, I know people." She said.

"Ok..." I said and she still didn't take her eyes off me. As the waiter walked back to our table my phone rang. "Fuck, I always have the volume turned off I don't know..." I said quickly grabbing my phone.

"You can take it." She said.

"Hello, I'm out with a client," I said.

"Are you fucking him?"

"Jason?" I said. "How'd you get this number?" I asked.

"Your fucking someone!" I quickly pressed end and turned the volume off. I put my phone under my leg. How the fuck did he get my number?

"That was rude." Miss Davis said.

"I always have my volume off, I don't know what happened-" "-apologize." She cut in.

"I'm sorry Ma'am." She smirked.

"Good girl." She was too pleased with herself. "So what's it like being a relater?" She asked lifting my glass and passing it to me.