twelve

I looked at the date. this would have been my release date, why do I miss it? I got ready for work, my new job was a librarian and to say I loved it was an understatement. The days were quiet and I got to be surrounded by books, the day passed quickly and by five o'clock I was walking out the door. I got in my car and decided to go to the strip mall, I had pizza from the small pizza joint and before I had time to stop myself I was walking into the next store. I went straight to the back and kept my head down, what was I thinking? "This is the last place where I expected to run into you." I put my head down and turned toward her, I still wasn't ready to hear her voice again let alone see her face. I didn't know what to say so I just looked away.

"Babe, look." A girl said walking over to her.

"That didn't take long." I rolled my eyes.

"You don't have a say in my life in case you forgot." She smiled putting her arm around the girl's shoulder. She took the toy the girl had picked it and I recognized it, it was the ball things. "These were your favourite weren't they?" She asked towards me and I blushed as I got angry, I pushed past her and left the store. I fumbled with my keys and dropped them as I tried to run to my car before tears could escape.

☆☆☆

I coughed, it felt like I was getting sick but it didn't burn. I managed to pull open my eyes and I couldn't see what was happening, my ears slowly came back to life and all I could hear was yelling. "You bring my car t-" I tried to focus. What's wrong with me? "Wife-" I could only concentrate on one thing at a time and I wanted to open my eyes again. I tried but it was blinding.

"Ma'am- no."

"I don't give a fuck!"

"That language is not tolerated you can drive yourself." A door banged close.

~Beep~Beep~Beep~

I opened my eyes and seen I was in a hospital, I glanced around and a nurse walked in. "Hello Miss Spencer, how are you feeling?" I thought for a second trying to remember what happened.

"I..." I tried to sit up by a pain went through my side. "Ouw." I closed my eyes tightly.

"Babe?" My headshot to the right and I seen Miss Davis standing up, she was asleep here?

"You have a good wife, she hasn't left your side. I'll go get your doctor." The nurse smiled and left.

"You got hit by a car..." she mumbled.

"Ok... I think it did more damage than I realized."

"Why?" She asked concerned.

"Because I do not remember marrying you miss Davis."

"I... think you can call me Lucy." I smiled at her. I laid my head back and closed my eyes. "Why'd you say I was your wife?" I asked.

"So I could come with you in the ambulance... but, I kinda got kicked out." I smiled lightly and opened my eyes to look at her. "Don't grin like that."

"What are you gonna do? Spank me?" She chewed her cheek.

"If you didn't have broken ribs. But they'll heal." She kissed my head as a doctor walked in.

"Hello, how do you feel?"

"Like I been hit by a car." I saw lucy smile out of the corner of my eye.

"Yes, well. You broke two ribs, and sprained your wrist." I nodded. "You'll be let out tomorrow, if there's anything you need just ask a nurse and I'll see you tomorrow."

"Thank you," Lucy said, he nodded and left. I started to remember what happened, I looked up at lucy and she glanced at me.

"You don't have to stay, I'm sure your toy is waiting."

"You... are testing my patients." She mumbled.

"Well, you let me go so you can't do shit." She chewed her cheek and sat on the bed beside me.

"Dolly.... kitten, please... I am trying right now. I... didn't even fuck her yet, I haven't had sex with anyone since you left." She sounded so sincere. "I've lost so many people from my life, but yesterday when you got hit... I felt real fear. Not the fear that comes for rough painful sex, but like.... hands and feet tingling, lump in the throat, am I going to be saying goodbye fear... my parents died when I was two, an aunt raised me. Ditched me at eighteen that's when I moved in with Kim. I know it's a stupid cliche and I fucking hate it, that's why I never tell anyone..."

"Lou...." I took in a breath. "One of my favourite quotes is 'the secret to life is hidden behind the word cliche'. I... don't care if you don't like your past, me either. That fucking idiot that kept calling me and keeps trying to message me is a story I'm not ready to tell yet. But..." I shook my head.

"I don't know how to be gentle." She whispered.

"Visiting hours are ending in five minutes." A nurse said poking her head in the room.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow if you'll let me."

"One condition." She raised an eyebrow. "Bring a contract."

"Dol-"

"Please, don't argue Lucy. I want this."

"I'll..." she cleared her throat. "I'll see you tomorrow." She took my hand in hers and squeezed it lightly before leaving. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding and a pain made me tear up... god... the nurse came and gave me some good stuff and before I knew it I was out like a light.