Thirty-six

The Christmas holiday had arrived, though this made no difference to routine, it was a comforting thought

Outside, the snow was falling heavily and building upon the ground. It was the sign of conventional Christmas, yet I never felt so out of the spirit in my entire life. The week was just another day closer to the greatest demise and possibly the wizarding world as we all know it.

Dear mum and dad,
I'm sorry I can't join you this year like I said I would. Who knew my last academic year would be so busy, I can hardly find time to leave school during Christmas. I thought it would be an easy one, but I guess not, (yes dad you read correctly I'm admitting to not always being right I am human after all). At least it's my last year, after that no more boarding school or holidays away, you can have me for as long as you like during such occasions, or at least until you get fed up of me.I do miss you guys a lot, the holiday season intensifies this, or maybe I miss your Christmas dinners dad, a dinner not even the magic at Hogwarts can uphold, or maybe it's mums... creative attempts at gingerbread houses.

I know you like to give during such times, but I promise there is no need. If you do have something for me, I will open it when I see you, which is hopefully soon, and I'll give you yours at the same time. Maybe that way, mum will refrain from sending me anything.

Hugs and kisses,
Thea.

P.S Amelia says Hi!

After rereading my letter to my parents, examining for any holes in my lies, I tied the message to the Malfoy family owl. Knowing that no one would bother searching a Malfoy piece of property, loyal followers have nothing to hide. Off it went to my parent's house.

"I doubt we'll be having our annual Christmas party this year, there's too much divide among my father's friends nowadays" Draco sighed flipping over a page in a book he clearly wasn't interested in.

"You have an annual party?" I scoffed with a risen eyebrow, the more time I spent with him in the manner, the more his life sounded like a rich love interest in one of those Victorian novels. Which was he, my Mr Darcy or my Rochester? He was too grouchy to ever be a Mr Bingley.

"Well yes, don't you?" he smirked finally clasping his book shut with one hand and placing it on the coffee table in front of us.

"Do you have a private orchestra during this said party?" I joked, and he went silent his smirk dropping "oh my Merlin, you do!" I clasped my hand over my mouth, and he hid his face into the crook of my neck and began laughing, his skin was hot against my own. "It sounds fancy, I'm upset we won't get one now" I laughed.

"Quit your bullying" Draco jokingly wined wrapping his arms around me tightly.

Then, a loud bang was heard from the front door. I sighed.

"There's another moment of peace lost" I rolled my eyes.

"I'm sure it's nothing" Draco sat up until the loud bang was heard again.

We both stood up in unison and headed along the Malfoy household towards the source of the nice.
The closer we got, the more we could hear mumbled voices and a girl squirming.

"He'll get you back my dear" a sinister voice commented "as soon as he gives us something of worth" the voice let out a loud cackle.

When we moved around the corner, my heart dropped, and my breath was caught in the back of my throat.  It was Luna struggling against the firm grip that a catcher had on her bicep as she stared desperately as the wand that the other snatcher kept a hold on. Narcissa and Lucius mumbled among each other, switching the direction of the gaze from each other to the struggling blonde girl.

"What is this?" Draco spoke up, causing all eyes to look towards our direction.

"Draco darling, it is nothing to concern you I suggest you go back to your room and take Thea with you" Narcissa gave a fake smile to her son and placed a hand on her heart.

Luna and I were staring directly as each other now, and I had forgotten how to breathe. She was so small, especially against the harsh grasp of the larger man that towered her. I tried to scavage my brain for a way to help her but was met with blank panic. I could barely process that she was there, she was real, and suddenly all the issues outside of the Malfoy walls became real too and my panic spread out its arms and invited new possibilities into my life.

"Don't be ridiculous! The boy is old enough now to be brought into all issues this family faces. Her father refused to shut his mouth, and he continued to publish his stupid magazines, this is just a consequence of his actions. Draco, why don't you take this blood traitor down to the cell?" Lucius advised, ignoring  Narcissas motherly wishes.

Next to me, Draco stiffy shook his head in defiance, and his father frowned at the action. Lucius took a deep breath and parted his mouth as if he were about to say something, but I interrupted what was surely going to be a lecture.

"I'll take her" I offered, keeping my face straight and hard.

"At least someone knows what's best for us" Lucius snarled directing the comment towards his son.

I walked up to the ethereal girl and grabbed onto her more harshly than I would like, but the way she finched convinced the others that I was able to go through with locking her up.

I kept this facade up until I closed the cell gate closed. Then I released my grip and turned to face towards her.

Her knees buckled as soon as I let go and she fell onto the floor, catching herself just in time. Swiftly, I kneeled down next to her and cupped her face in my hands. Her eyes were more distorted than normal, dreamlike, and her face was covered in blood, and red marks that I was sure would turn into bruises.

"Luna..." I started with a pitiful sigh while I examed her milk-white skin.

"Thea, I'm glad to see you again" she smiled, exposing her blood-stained teeth. 

I couldn't help but let out a huff of a laugh at that comment. Luna was at the brink of consciousness but still dishing out words of kindness. Before I knew it, tears were streaming down my face, I thought I could handle it but I can't.

"I missed you" I manage to get out.

"Don't cry" Luna smiled reaching out and wiping my face "I'm ok".

"Luna you know I can't let you out of here, if I did they'd know, they'd be suspicious of me, and then they'd kill Draco, they'd kill you I don't think I can risk it. Just know I'm not with them from choice I-"

"I know, you're one of my closest friends, of course, I know" she ensured.

"We will get out, it's just not the time yet. Until then, I'll protect you, I promise" my words were a mere whisper but were loud in their meaning.

"I trust you".