Twenty-eight

There was no great speech at the beginning of the feast that year

There was no great speech at the beginning of the feast that year. Instead, the new headmaster, Snape, decided to peer his beady dead eyes onto nervous students and inform them on the importance of purity and honour. He spoke of how Hogwarts will no longer fall to the wish of harmony among two words, and those who disgrace the name of wizards would be punished. My stomach turned at the sight of a few students nodding in excitement with a wide smile plastered on their face, and I feared what was to come of people like me and the lack of mercy that was going to be shown. My breath became shallow and shaky, and I closed my eyes trying to concentrate on being calm. Amelia reached out, squeezing my hand and I was glad not every pureblood was so easily persuaded.

"Hogwarts will be great again" were his final words in his less than motivational speech before he nodded subtly allowing plates upon plates of food to be scattered down the long dining tables in the great hall. I let out a sigh when the food was exposed, it looked the same as always, just as tasty and well put together, but the actions that mirrored the annual traditions had an odd and dismal filter of grey circumstances blurring any excitement that would often fill up the halls. There was nothing warm about the welcome, and nothing inviting. I lifted my head and looked down the table to see that a majority of the others had noticed the same. They were picking at their food and looking down wistfully at the plates in front of them. Even the first years knew that this wasn't right, that this was not what they had been dreaming of their whole lives. In response to this related sorrow, the hall was almost silent. There was a lack of laughter and chatter in the air, instead, it was just a few whispers and cutlery moving around.

"How long do you think he's been preparing that speech?" Amelia asked quietly keeping her head low and gathering food onto her fork.

"How long has he been working here?" I replied, and we both let out a small laugh that filled the hollowness of the room for a second before silence fell again.

Once more I looked across the tables that were alined parallel down the great hall, but this time my eyes lingered on the Slytherin table hoping I would see any sign of his platinum hair and icy skin. However, I was down on my luck when among the gathering of green and silver ties, Draco was not one of them. At this realisation, my heart sunk, but simultaneously I was glad that the opportunity to make a mistake and fall all over again was taken away from me.

"He's not here" Amelia said, noticing my stiff and tense state, following my eyes towards the Slytherin table.  "I heard he dropped out and is now staying with his family" she explained. I lowered my head worried about what could happen to him there and how much further they could lead him astray. "I also heard that he who must not be named hasn't finished with him yet" she finished diverting her eyes from where I sat upset with my wide-eyed reaction.

That night I did not sleep, and how the sleepless night reminded me of my sixth year at Hogwarts, but instead of wandering the dark corridors, which always got me in trouble, I sat at the windowsill leaning my head against the cool glass and allowing my eyes to explore the grounds of Hogwarts. The sky was dark with thick clouds spotting the air, which the moon attempted to hide behind. Through the glass, I could hear the whistling of the wind, the rustling of trees and the faint hooting of a few owls. Then from beside me the moving sheets of Amelia who was sleeping restlessly. Slowly my chest was moving up and down mirroring the serenity with my breathing, and I held on tight to my knees that were clothed with soft cotton pyjama trousers.

I wondered where Harry was. I wondered if he was safe, and I wondered if Hermione and Ron were still with him. I'd hate if they were separated, they all seemed stronger together. I missed him, but I missed Draco even more, and the grounds reminded me of this.

I sighed resting my head into my knees, shutting my eyes to allow complete darkness, but as I did this I felt something dig into my chest. Flinching slightly I sat up reaching underneath my shirt pulling out the necklace Dumbledore had left to me which began glowing a faint blue. I frowned, holding its charm closer to my eyes, examining the thick royal blue mist that circled the interior of the glass ball. The pigment lasted for a few seconds before an image appeared through the glass as if it had transformed itself into a snow globe. Inside was a large gothic castle surrounded by elaborate healthy green gardens and two fountains on either side. High hedges curved with the land, running off into the distance beyond an impressive wrought-iron gate. A slight glimmer surrounded the ground as a reflection of a protection charm. Most notably prancing around the gothic scenery, majestically, were purer than white peacocks dancing with each other. My frown deepened, and my eyes narrowed.

"Need and want" I repeated softly echoing the words Dumbledore had left for me. What could he possibly be telling me?

A/N: This is a bit of a filler chapter so it's a bit short but I have so many plans in store that I'm super excited about!
Also I'm loving TikToks obsession with Draco it's truly what I needed. I'm posting some Harry Potter stuff on my TIkTok if you guys want to check it out @ / the.high.ground_