Your Will Shall Decide Your Destiny pt 4

~3rd Person P.O.V.~

The three finally come to a stop at Mrs. Spencer's, who was working outside in her little garden.

"Woah, woah, woah, woah."

Upon hearing Marilla's voice, Mrs. Spencer turns her head, seeing the three hopping out of the carriage and walking towards her.

"My, my, you're the last folks I was looking for today, but I'm real glad to see you." She greets the three. "And how are you doing, dear Anne, Y/n?"

"We're well enough, thank you." Anne answers for her and Y/n, while also gripping her hand.

Mrs. Spencer turns to Marilla, "What brings you by, Ms. Cuthbert?"

"Well, the fact is, Mrs. Spencer, there's been a queer mistake somewhere. I've come over to see where it is." Mrs. Spencer looks at her curiously. "Matthew and I sent word for you to bring us two boys from the asylum. We told your brother Robert to tell you we wanted two boys."

"Marilla Cuthbert, you don't say so! But Robert sent word through his daughter Nancy that you wanted two girls. Oh, that Nancy is a terrible flighty thing. I've often had to scold her for her heedlessness. I'm dreadfully sorry about this." Mrs. Spencer explains.

"It was our own fault." Marilla shrugs. "We should have come to you ourselves, and not left an important message to be handed on by word of mouth. However, the mistake has bee made, and the only thing to do is to set it right. I suppose the asylum will take them back, won't they?"

"I suppose, but it might not be necessary to return them. My neighbor, Mrs. Blewett, was just saying to me she's overburdened by her large family, and she wishes she'd sent for a girl to help." Mrs. Spencer suggests.

Anne and Y/n look at her with wide eyes, hearing that she said girl, not girls.

"One of them will do nicely." Mrs. Spencer says. "I call this positively providential. We'll call on her and see. I'm sure she'll agree."

"But then we'd be separated." Anne speaks up.

Both woman look at the sisters. Marilla frowns at them, knowing they were best friends. Mrs. Spencer doesn't say anything.

~

The four made it to Mrs. Spencer's household. A baby sat in a basket, crying loudly, and a couple children played, as Mrs. Blewett stands on the porch in front of them, glancing at Anne and Y/n.

"How old are you two and what's your names?" She asks them.

"Anne and Y/n Shirley. We're just thirteen." Anne answers.

"Hmm. You two don't look as if there's much to you. But you're wiry. I don't know, but the wiry ones are the best after all. If I take one of you, you'll do as I say, and speak when spoken to. I don't suffer no backtalk. If I find you lacking, you'll know the toe of my boot. I expect you to earn your keep, and no mistake. I'm at my wits' end with this one. He'll be the death of me." Mrs. Blewett gestures to the crying baby.

Y/n moved closer to Marilla, "That's a colic cry." She whispers to her, as Anne nods in agreement.

Mrs. Blewett heard her, "What?"

"He'll do better if you swaddle him." Y/n answers.

"And gripe water helps." Anne adds.

"Anne and Y/n have worked for large families before." Mrs. Spencer informs.

"And work they will." Mrs. Blewett says. "This ain't no charity house. I suppose I can take one of them off your hands, Ms. Cuthbert. Two is just too much. If you like, I can take one of them right now."