Remorse Is the Poison of Life pt 4

~3rd Person P

~3rd Person P.O.V.~

The snow was shining on the trees and the ground as the four girls walked through it. Anne had gotten over her small bit of sadness as she now seemed fine, a smile on her face, one of her arms linked with Diana's. Anne, Diana and Ruby were a bit in front of Y/n who trailed behind them. She wasn't sure if she could see Gilbert after what happened after his father's funeral. Meanwhile, Diana and Ruby were having a little argument about whether they should say 'I'm sorry for your loss' to Gilbert.

"There's nothing wrong with saying, "I'm sorry for your loss", Ruby. And I'm going to say it because I am." Diana states.

Ruby shakes her head. "You'll just make it worse if you say that. His father just died."

"That's what people say when someone dies, Ruby." Anne tells the blonde.

"I don't want either of you to upset him." Ruby demands.

"He's already upset because his father just died." Diana argues. "Y/n, please tell Ruby it's alright to say--"

"I'm thinking perhaps I should get on home." Y/n interrupts, making them stop.

Anne furrows her brows at her sister. "What?"

"Why?" Ruby adds in question.

"I'm sure Marilla must be needing some help. With something. Anne, why don't you go on and--" Y/n begins.

"Don't be silly. We're almost there." Ruby cuts her off, holding out her hand. "Hold my hand."

Doing as told, Y/n places her gloved covered hand into Ruby's gloved covered hand before the four girls start walking in the direction of the Blythe residence again. Anne took a glance at her sister, a curious frown on her face as she wondered why Y/n didn't want to see Gilbert.

"I'm so nervous!" Ruby exclaims.

Neither of the girls say anything else as they continued towards the house. Eventually, Diana was knocking where Gilbert soon answered. Of course, being the polite person he is, he let them inside where Ruby handed him the shepherd's pie they had made back at Diana's house. Y/n stood behind the other three girls, clutching her hat in her hands as her and Gilbert took many glances at each other. Ruby was trying not to bounce off her heels as she watched Gilbert take the lid off, revealing the pie.

"We're sorry to intrude, but we wanted you to have that." Ruby tells him, receiving a silent nod.

Diana frowns. "We're sorry for your loss."

"Very sorry." Anne adds with a frown.

"It's a shepherd's pie." Ruby informs, trying to get Gilbert's mind off of what Diana and Anne had said. "We made it together especially for you."

"Thank you." Gilbert replies, glancing at the only silent girl out of the four.

"We hope you like shepherd's pie." Diana states.