Your Will Shall Decide Your Destiny

~3rd Person P.O.V.~

In the middle of a field, on water, an older man sat on a horse, riding it, sprinting towards something.

"Hyah!"

As he was riding, passing by many tall trees, a train horn was heard in the distance.

~

In a house, stood a older woman, neatly setting up the table for her and her brother. That woman was...

Marilla Cuthbert.

Outside the house, seated right next to the door, sat her brother.

Matthew Cuthbert.

He was cleaning his shoes, as Marilla was done setting the table, passing the door, seeing her brother still shining his shoes.

"You'll want to hurry and eat if you're to meet the train on time." Marilla sighs, "I pray this isn't foolishness, but it's too late now. We made a practical decision. We'll just have to hope for the best. With any luck, Mrs. Spencer will have picked out good ones. Hard workers and obedient, like we asked for. I couldn't tolerate two lazy boys or two sullen boys. No, I couldn't abide it and I wouldn't."

Matthew stayed quiet, listening to his sister rant about the two boys they were adopting, so they could have some help on the farm.

Marilla sighs, looking at her brother, "In spite of all the worry, I'm relieved to know you'll have a regular hand about the place. You can't buy loyalty."

Marilla moves closer to the door, untying her apron to hang it up.

"You coming in sometime today?" She asks.

Matthew still sits there, tying up his shoelace, before walking into the house, putting his bag down and hat off, while Marilla puts the plates of food on the table.

Matthew walks to the table, going to sit down in his seat, just as Marilla sits, speaking again.

"Matthew Cuthbert, you must be in a state. Since when do you sit at the table without washing your hands?"

Matthew walks to the sink, starting to wash his hands, as Marilla sighs.

"Let's not forget you were the one convinced of this plan. You've been set on it since winter, so there's no point fretting now. Not that I disagree, because I don't." Marilla speaks again.

Matthew dries his hands, before walking to the table, sitting down, fixing his jacket in the process.

"Will you be ready to set off as soon as you're finished here?" Marilla asks.

"I will." Matthew answers, finally speaking.

"Bet it won't take long for Rachel to come a-knocking. Lord knows she's got a hunger for gossip like a person starved."

The two grab their food from the table, starting to dig in.

~

Marilla stood outside, holding the gate open for Matthew, as he was riding by, sitting on a carriage, a horse leading it.

Once he was fully through, Marilla closes the gate, locking it, watching her brother take off, going to pick up the two boys.

~

As Matthew was riding through the woods, riding by a house, a woman who looked to be about Marilla and Matthew's age, sat in front of her window, knitting.