Remorse Is the Poison of Life pt 3

~3rd Person P

~3rd Person P.O.V.~

The Blythe residence was crowded with civilians that went to the funeral for John Blythe, Gilbert Blythe's father. The people who were friends with the older man were still saddened at the news, even if they had just found out weeks ago. People were walking around, trays in hand as they offered food and beverages to the people who were around. Chatters could be heard, most speaking quiet or just not speaking at all.

By the window, near the front door, Y/n stared out at the bright and shiny snow, her finger tracing a bit of the frost that was on the glass. Anne could be seen standing beside Matthew, glancing around. As the tip of Y/n's finger traced against the glass, her e/c eyes landed on a familiar face outside of the house.

Gilbert slowly began walking towards the building, but stopped as he stared at it with a frown. With a shake of his head, he steps back and starts walking away. Wanting to see if she could talk and comfort him, Y/n rushes to where she and Anne had hung up their coats, grabbing hers as she turns the doorknob of the door and rushes out, calling out for the boy who slowed down just a bit at the sound of her voice, but continued walking.

While jogging, Y/n had a bit of a hard time getting on her coat but was able to do so, placing her beanie on her hair that was put into a ponytail with the ribbon Marilla had given her. Soon enough, she found herself step in step with Gilbert, the crunch of the snow being heard beneath the boots that covered their feet.

"I... I'm really sorry... about your father." Y/n speaks up, stammering a bit.

In response, Gilbert nods as a frown continued to lay on his face. Not knowing what to say at the moment, Y/n takes a deep breath through her nose, glancing around in hopes of having something to say, maybe possibly cheer him up a bit. But she knew, none of that wouldn't do the trick, but she could try.

"The, uh... The snow is really beautiful. Very shiny. Looks like it has sparkles in it." Y/n points out, getting a silent nod again. "Listen, Gilbert, I just want you to know that if you ever need anything, I'll be--"

"Can you just..." Gilbert interrupts, trailing off as he turns to her. "I think I just need sometime to myself right now."

Y/n nods, shoving her hands into her pockets. "Oh, right. Yeah, totally. Sorry."

"Goodbye, Y/n." Gilbert whispers.

And with that, he walks off, leaving her to stare at his retreating figure with a frown. He didn't mean to make his tone harsh, but he needed to be alone at the moment. And she understood that, even when she wasn't alone much considering she lived with Anne. Tearing her eyes away from him, the e/c eyed girl found herself venturing through the forest until she was at the small tree-like shelter her and Anne had made together.

When she entered inside, her back hunched before going straight up again, Y/n removes her hat, fixing the small bits of hair that flung out from the static of her hat. Pacing back and forth, the girl began to ramble to herself, her mind still on Gilbert.